Emerald Secondary College - Reinstate Our Classroom Support
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
DO YOU KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING IN OUR SCHOOL?
Our classes are not being supported or staffed sufficiently.
The number of aide staff supporting students at Emerald Secondary College has been slashed resulting in the withdrawal of most classroom support. Whilst this is indeed a tragedy for our students with special needs, this situation is impacting on every student in our school.
Withdrawal of classroom support impacts on every member of the classroom. Every teacher and every student.
Teachers not only have the challenge of meeting the needs of the class as a whole, but now have the added pressure of managing the specific learning, behavioural and safety needs of funded students.
Students are being left behind and the failure to properly resource and support staff is putting them under enormous pressure.
All of our staff and students deserve more.
Staff are doing an incredible job despite this but unfortunately, the school has lost many experienced, dedicated staff and we hold grave fears that we will lose more.
Funding for individual students with disabilities has not changed, yet they have had the majority of their support withdrawn.
SO WHERE IS THE FUNDING GOING IF IT'S NOT BEING USED FOR SUPPORT?
Requests for information regarding funding have been denied. There has been a complete lack of transparency and accountability with regards to the use of dedicated funding and the rationale that has been used for allocating support levels.
What is clear, is that funding has been reprioritized away from classroom support without any consultation or communication with those impacted by these decisions.
SO WHAT CAN WE DO?
Show your support by signing this petition and sending a strong message that the staff and students of our school community deserve better.
To ensure a fair and equitable education for all we demand that:
Emerald Secondary College:
- Re-instate classroom support to previous levels;
- Provide transparent and accountable reporting for the use of targeted PSD* Funding.
We need your help! Please sign and share this petition - on your Email, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram - let's get it out there and make a difference!
#SupportOurKids #ESCSupportOurKids #Includeme2
* PSD – Programme for Students with Disabilities
UPDATE TO THE PETITION
For those interested, please refer to the following links which provide some additional information and context regarding this petition:
- Newspaper Article 1/5/18 - A Call for Inclusion - https://issuu.com/starnewsgroup/docs/2018-05-01_rt_122/5
- Newspaper Article 23/4/18 - Cutbacks Spark Council Rift - https://pakenham.starcommunity.com.au/gazette/2018-04-23/cutbacks-spark-council-rift/
- Newspaper Article 13/4/18 - Support Slashed in School https://pakenham.starcommunity.com.au/gazette/2018-04-13/support-slashed-in-school/
- Newspaper Article 21/8/17 - Raw Deal Special Needs Students - https://ferntreegully.mailcommunity.com.au/mail/2017-08-21/raw-deal-for-special-needs-students/
- Original Newspaper Announcement regarding allocation of State Government $1.5M for a purpose built inclusion facility - https://pakenham.starcommunity.com.au/gazette/2015-05.../special-needs-amply-met/
A recent government review entitled “Review of the program for students with disabilities” found that: “9. There is a lack of accountability and transparency for outcomes for all students with disabilities, including those students supported under the PSD and for the use of targeted PSD funding provided to schools.” The recommendation for schools was for “Greater accountability and transparency for the use of funds”
The government response to this was committing to work with stakeholders to develop a plan which would Include:“Examining how schools can best report on the use of targeted funding". -http://www.education.vic.gov.au/Documents/about/department/PSD-Review-Report.pdf -http://www.education.vic.gov.au/Documents/about/department/PSD-Review-Response.pdf
Today: Lynne is counting on you
Lynne Stack needs your help with “The Minister for Education : Emerald Secondary College - Reinstate Our Classroom Support”. Join Lynne and 721 supporters today.