Government of Montserrat - Make Swimming A Part of The National Youth Sports Programme
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
What is the issue?
It is well known that most black children are unable to swim. This is not just prevalent in the Caribbean but in developed countries such as the USA & UK. According to a recent study by USA Swimming, nearly 60% of African-American children between the ages of six and sixteen are unable to swim, in comparison to 31% of white children. On Montserrat this figure is more like 90%+ We need your help to change this on Montserrat.
AQUA Montserrat's Kids Ocean Club Fish 'N Fins is playing a pivotal role in getting our 7-14 year olds swimming.
To date over 300 local children have experienced our Ocean Club programs, this has mostly been made possible through summer camps via AQUA Montserrat, Montserrat Youth Affairs, Ministry of the Environment (MAHLE) & Waitt Institute. However, our children need more than 1-2 week long experiences to gain strong swim skills.
With the full support of The Government of Montserrat , AQUA Montserrat/FISH 'N FINS can deliver a comprehensive national swim programme with the following mission:
1. To break down barriers of fear and apprehension in the water
2. To promote personal development and build self confidence
3. To improve both body, mind and spirit through swimming and coaching
4. To educate and develop life skills through the pursuit of excellence in swimming, lifesaving, aqua activities and water therapies in a fun, healthy , structured and safe environment.
Have your say
This is an opportunity to make a bold and innovative amendment to the local education framework, creating a new generation of Montserratian swimmers. Young Montserratians capable of representing Montserrat at regional and international swimming competitions. Let’s make sure the Government gets it right. We are aiming for 4000 signatures by 5.00pm Tuesday 28 October 2017.
Please Sign Our Petition
( Optional ) Use the comment box below to make a submission. Please edit this text how you see fit, with personal notes of how swim coaching in schools would be beneficial to our children.
Your name (optional)
Your email (optional)
Your address (optional)
Subject: I'm signing because...
Petition Pledge to Government of Montserrat - Department of Education, Youth Affairs and Sports
To the Ministry responsible for Education, Youth Affairs & Sports
1. I support the proposal to make swimming part of the National Youth Sports Programme
2. I urge the Government of Montserrat to implement this policy as soon as possible
3. I believe that our swimming policy should cover all children, irrespective of nationality , gender or ability.
4. A Junior Olympic swimming pool should be constructed to enable a common swim training and competition space.
5. I believe there should be a quick and timely phase in plan whereby the community and schools are informed, and swim instructors and lifeguards are made ready for the task.
Thank you for your support!
For more information on:
Today: Veta is counting on you
Veta Wade needs your help with “The Government of Montserrat : Government of Montserrat- Make swimming part of the National Youth Sports Programme”. Join Veta and 523 supporters today.