"ALLOW JOSE FIGUEROA TO PARTICIPATE IN HIS OWN JUDICIAL REVIEW VIA VIDEO-CONFERENCE FROM WALNUT GROVE LUTHERAN CHURCH"
This petition made change with 452 supporters!
Jose Figueroa, a proud Salvadorean father of three Canadian-born children, has been living in Canada for seventeen years. A deportation order was issued against him in 2010 - an order that could lead to enforced separation from his wife and children. Fearing imminent deportation, he was forced to claim sanctuary at Walnut Grove Lutheran in Langley, BC on October 4 2013.
The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) sought to remove Jose from Canada BEFORE his important judicial review (scheduled for January 15 2014) took place. Despite the Federal Court granting him a temporary stay of the deportation on October 29 2013, the CBSA surveillance of the church where Jose has taken up sanctuary has continued and intensified. Jose cannot leave the church without risking being permanently separated from his family. Faced with the option of waiting for his day in court in a prison cell, Jose chose sanctuary in order to at least have his family visit him on weekends.
The judicial review that was originally scheduled for January was delayed by the Federal Government and will now take place on May 26 2014, at 11:00 am in the Federal Court building (701 West Georgia, Vancouver). This petition seeks the public's support in a call to the Federal Court to make it possible for Mr. Figueroa to participate in his own hearing and make his case before those who declared him inadmissible. Jose Figueroa deserves the right to hear, see and participate in an event which will define the rest of his life. He has the right to stand up for his rights and the rights of his family.
For more information on this matter please visit www.wearejose.org and also visit the We are Jose Facebook page.
PETITION ASKING THE FEDERAL COURT OF CANADA TO ALLOW JOSE FIGUEROA TO PARTICIPATE IN HIS OWN JUDICIAL REVIEW VIA VIDEO-CONFERENCE FROM WALNUT GROVE LUTHERAN CHURCH:
1. Jose Figueroa has been unjustly persecuted by the Canadian Border Services Agency under unfounded allegations of inadmissibility into Canada.
2. The Federal Court of Canada granted leave on an emergency motion of stay deportation on October 29th 2013, yet the Canadian Border Services Agency CBSA continued with threats for an arrest that generated fears that the family would be separated.
3. Mr. Figueroa has demonstrated willingness to face the allegations in an open and truthful manner and has the right to be present in the tribunal where the future of his family will be discussed.
4. The surveillance on Mr. Figueroa while in sanctuary has increased creating much psychological stress and limiting the possibilities to defend himself against the allegation brought up by a CBSA officer.
5. Rule 32 of the Federal Court stats: “ The Court may order that a hearing be conducted in whole or in part by means of a telephone conference call, video-conference or any other form of electronic communication.
The undersigned respectfully petition the Federal Court of Canada to allow Mr. Jose Figueroa to participate (via video conference from Walnut Grove Lutheran Church) in his own Judicial Review hearing scheduled to take place on May 26th 2014, at 11:00 am, at the Federal Court Building located on 701 West Georgia, Vancouver.
Today: Robert is counting on you
Robert Graham needs your help with “The Federal Court of Canada: "ALLOW JOSE FIGUEROA TO PARTICIPATE IN HIS OWN JUDICIAL REVIEW VIA VIDEO-CONFERENCE FROM WALNUT GROVE LUTHERAN CHURCH"”. Join Robert and 451 supporters today.