I just signed the following petition addressed to: Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook and 2010 Time Person of the Year and Facebook's Board of Directors.
We the People of Facebook (hereinafter “We”, “Us” and “Our”) hereby declare & decree as follows:
Whereas Facebook is a self-proclaimed "social network" whose stated mission is “to give people the power to share and make the world more open and connected”
Whereas Facebook severely and unjustly limits our ability to connect and share by, including but not limited to:
(a) continuously and arbitrarily removing our posts and other forms of speech without notice or an opportunity to be heard;
(b) charging us to share and connect with already established friends, family, subscribers and followers;
(c) capping friendships and blocking or banning users from being able to send friend requests;
(d) removing our pages without notice or an opportunity to be heard;
(e) blocking and banning us without notice or an opportunity to be heard;
Whereas Facebook states that we are free to share and connect with one another, when in reality we are far too limited, and many of us are prevented from having any power or choice in what we can share and who we can share and connect with;
Where as we are continually and systematically subjected to arbitrary, unjust and anti-social policies and speech suppression by Facebook while its corporate sponsors and highest bidders are rewarded with the power to connect and share without limitation;
Wherefore, We demand that Facebook:
(1) Eliminate its pay-to-share policy with respect to friends, family, subscribers and other Facebook users we choose to connect with, who have liked our pages or otherwise expressed their intent to receive our status updates and other important information we share;
(2) Eliminate arbitrary spam filters which hide, remove or otherwise suppress our messages or other posts which have not been shared indiscriminately;
(3) Provide us with notice and an opportunity to be heard before Facebook removes any of our posts or other speech through a fair and public appeal process;
(4) Provide us with notice and an opportunity to be heard before Facebook bans or blocks our ability to connect and share, including but not limited to blocking our ability to friend and message one another;
(5) Remove our friendship cap.
Unless and until the above-listed demands are met, We hereby pledge the following:
(i) We will not click any of Facebook's sponsored advertisements or suggested links.
(ii) We will not pay for any of Facebook's advertising services.
(iii) We will seek and make new homes on true social networks and encourage our friends, family and followers to join us on them.
Very Truly Yours,
The Undersigned Petitioners
Drafted by Louis F. Leo IV, Esq.
Founder of People Over Politics / FB Declaration of Independence
On Behalf of Facebook Users & Pages United Against Facebook Speech Suppression
Learn more about what Facebook is doing here: http://peopleoverpolitics.org/2014/04/20/the-anti-social-network
Are you a Facebook user, page owner or admin tired of not being able to share and connect with your friends, family and followers?
Join Facebook Users & Pages United Against Facebook Speech Suppression
Please sign our petition, and please also sign this Facebook petition created by our partners in progress at Demand Progress.
If you have any questions or concerns about this petition or our organization in general please email us or visit us on Facebook.
Thank you for your support and remember, sharing is caring.
Louis Leo IV started this petition with a single signature, and now has 5,607 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.