- Bruce JohnsonTitle: City Manager
- Cody MosleyTitle: Code Enforcement
- Shelby LewisPlanning Coordinator
of Guthrie,Oklahoma Start and offer a convenient curbside recycling program to your residents.
The city of Guthrie, Oklahoma does not offer a curbside recycling program for their citizens. This includes the residents that are outside city limits. The only way residents can recycle is if they deliver and pay for their items to be recycled themselves. Residents want recycle bins to be offered for use in their homes as well as having recycle bins placed around the city at stores, restaurants, parks and, gas stations. The city can and should do more about the situation and make recycling more conveinient and free for their residents. We all know why recycling is important, but I will brief you on a few stats
- ~This year, the world will generate 2.6 trillion pounds of garbage -- the weight of about 7,000 Empire State Buildings. What kind of trash is it? Where does it all go?
- The answer is that just under half of it comes from "organic" waste -- food, mostly -- and most of it goes into landfills, according to a new report this week from the World Bank. (Derek Thompson Jun 7 2012, 11:29 AM ET)
- ~It takes 95% less energy to process recycled aluminum as compared to making it from scratch. The numbers are similarly as efficient for other popular resources such as plastic (70%), steel (60%), paper (40%) and glass (30%). The math is easy: recycling these five basic resource staples our society depends on can save a total of 295% of toxins emitted in to the atmosphere, emissions that contribute to global warming, smog, acid rain, and water contamination.
- Furthermore, in 2005 the EPA reported that recycling in the United States reduced carbon emissions by enough to fill 10.5 million Olympic size swimming pools, which is a staggering number.
- In 2007, The Economist released a series of articles related to the benefits of recycling. It was reported that, at that time, the United States recycled around 32% of its consumer waste. While that number has likely increased over the course of the past four years, it is still far from where it needs to be. Major urban centers, all the way down to small rural communities, need to adopt policies of increased recycling by installing recycle bins next to every trash bin, and promote the expansive list of optimistic outcomes for recycling to further encourage it.(Blogpost by Matthew K)
- ~We throw away enough glass bottles and jars that could have filled the 1,350-foot twin towers of New Yorks Trade Center every two weeks.
- ~Every Sunday more than 5000,000 trees are used to produce the 88% of newspapers that are never recycled.
- ~American consumers and industry throw away enough aluminum to rebuild our entire commercial airfleet every three months.
The officials we are directly calling upon are:Sereniah Breland, Jim Fish, and Trey Ayers. I started this petition because I was going to help my grandmother start recycling in her home, but when I went to sign her up I learned that Guthrie does not offer recycling unless the residents are going to take the recycled items to the center themselves and pay for it out of pocket. This is just not right. Please help me in telling the city officials that this is important and needs to be taken seriously.We want to see this change. Even a town the size of Guthrie could help make a difference in the worlds environment. Sign this petition not for me, but for the world we love so much. Thank you.
- Title: City Manager
- Title: Code Enforcement
- Planning Coordinator
Start and offer a convenient recycling program to the citizens of Guthrie, Oklahoma including the ones who live out of city limits. Make recycling an option that is as easy as putting the trash out or throwing something away in a bin. This is very important to us and we want to see this change. It's time to get all of the residents aware about recycling and involved.
Destini P started this petition with a single signature, and now has 148 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.