Get Luton station back on track
This petition had 2,057 supporters
A recent social media campaign demonstrated how frustrated Luton residents and rail users are with the current state of our main railway station and the knock-on effect it has on the image of the town.
The outdated and poorly maintained station is the fly in the ointment and not a fitting positive gateway to the town. Built in 1937, the building is in a poor state of repair with insufficient disability access. It was identified as one of the worst ten stations in the UK in 2010.
Here is just a small selection of the comments posted:
- Over 30 smashed windows, some which have been left unrepaired for TEN years.
- Total lack of disabled facilities getting down to the platforms.
- Leaky roof and flooding on the platforms every time it rains.
- Broken Windows boarded up, peeling paint, doesn't feel safe, looks dreadful and too small.
- It's rundown sad, dark, leaky, cold, unattractive, feels unsafe at night, outdated.
- Inconvenient. Grubby. Unwelcoming. Embarrassing
- Total eyesore, major station should have far more facilities & be well kept. Unwelcoming entrance to town
More than 3.5 million passengers use this station every year and is the first impression that visitors have of Luton. So much effort, time and investment have been put into improving this part of the town and it is being let down by the railway station.
The purpose of this petition is to collect more views on the unacceptable state of Luton station and put more pressure on Network Rail and train operators to provide the necessary funding for long overdue improvements.
Today: Sian is counting on you
Sian Timoney needs your help with “Thameslink , Network Rail: Get Luton station back on track”. Join Sian and 2,056 supporters today.