Pass a Sexual Assault Survivors' Bill of Rights in Virginia
This petition had 97 supporters
I'm calling on Virginia to pass a Sexual Assault Survivors' Bill of Rights that will guarantee comprehensive, common sense civil rights for survivors:
Rise’s Five Key Civil Rights:
1. The right to not have your rape kit destroyed before either 20 years or the statute of limitations has passed (whichever is longer).
2. The right to be notified of your civil rights related to a sexual assault.
3. The right to not be charged for your own rape kit examination.
4. The right to access your own medical record related to a rape kit examination.
5. The right to a copy of your own police report.
Over forty states have backlogs for untested kits. Some states do not cover the full medical expenses of a kit, leaving survivors to pay their own way towards justice. Most states destroy rape kits before the statute of limitations for the crime has passed. The lack of these rights has inspired us to act.
I have been sexually assaulted before, and did not report it due to lack of knowledge of my rights and truthfully was fearful of the whole process. I know I am not alone. This needs to be passed for men and women everywhere.
This is a crisis for 25 million survivors across America, and it's time for our legislators to do something about it.
Today: Meghan is counting on you
Meghan Clingempeel needs your help with “Terry McAuliffe: Pass a Sexual Assault Survivors' Bill of Rights in Virginia”. Join Meghan and 96 supporters today.