Tell the Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions committee to send HR: 2646 to the floor.
This petition had 98 supporters
In the U.S. there are estimated to be ten million adult individuals who have a serious mental illness. At least 20% of those individuals go completely untreated. Less than 2% of individuals with serious mental illness are receiving the services that are important to living productive and satisfying lives within their communities.
1 of every 32. These individuals are our loved ones and our friends. The lack of appropriate services available for the people we know and love is a systemic problem.
$444 billion per year is spent on response to acute crises. On top of that, serious mental illness is the leading cause of disability and results in a loss of potential revenue of at least $193 billion per year.
Untreated serious mental illness results in higher rates of incarceration, suicide attempts, and early death. 57% of the population in correctional institutions and an estimated 50% of the homeless population have serious mental illness.
Helping Families in Mental Health Crisis Act of 2016 will:
- Advance early intervention and prevention programs including suicide prevention
- Increase community-based alternatives to institutionalization such as Assisted Outpatient Treatment, Assertive Community Treatment, and other intensive community-based approaches
- Provide grants for specialized training to law enforcement officers and first responders so that they may understand how to properly intervene
- Establish a committee to that focuses on research, treatment, housing and services for individuals with serious mental illness
- ...and save at least $5 million over 10 years!
H.R.2646 Helping Families in Mental Health Crisis Act of 2016 passed the House vote with unprecedented 422-2 bipartisan support.
It is currently sitting in Senate committee awaiting a 3rd read. Let’s tell the committee members to send it to the floor to be voted on before the 114th congressional session ends!
Today: Health Policy Group at University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work is counting on you
Health Policy Group at University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work needs your help with “Tell the Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions committee to send HR: 2646 to the floor.”. Join Health Policy Group at University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work and 97 supporters today.