The fossil fuels industry is trampling global warming legislation to secure profits, while we the people are already experiencing the effects of ever rising greenhouse gas emissions: forest fires are raging, freshwater systems are drying up, hurricanes are intensifying, and ocean life is collapsing.
The science is clear: to avoid even worse impacts of climate change, we need to cut our global warming pollution 25-40% below 1990 levels in the next decade. The UN climate negotiations in Copenhagen this December will be the crucial moment for leaders to sign on to a treaty to avert climate catastrophe and unleash a clean energy revolution.
Tell President Obama that it’s time to sign!
* Note: Greenpeace may use your name in an activity to communicate to President Obama or other world leaders.
- The President of the United States
The impacts of global warming will touch every person in every country. The time has come to sign a fair, ambitious, and binding climate treaty. When the UN meets this December, rich countries like the US must agree to:
- Cut their emissions by 25-40% below 1990 levels in the next decade;
- Replace dirty energy sources like coal and oil with clean, renewable wind and solar power;
- Create a $140 billion fund to help poorer nations increase their own renewable energy sources, end deforestation, and adapt to the unavoidable impacts of climate change.
The world is looking to you for leadership, President Obama.
Greenpeace started this petition with a single signature, and now has 5,190 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.