Support Mason 4 Survivors #CancelKavanaughGMU
0 have signed. Let’s get to 25,000!
Dear George Mason University Administration,
There is a historic amount of institutional negligence on your part to support survivors of sexual assault and the student body as a whole, which has bred a sense of mistrust and suffering within the Mason community and allies.
These institutional failures have been, but are not limited to the following cases: the hiring of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh as a visiting professor with the Antonin Scalia Law School, the protection of former student body president David Kanos, the lack of urgency and action with the predator recording women in the Innovation restroom, as well as the abundance of other cases where you've truly failed survivors and the Mason community.
However, since the announcement of the hiring of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, we have mobilized and are ready to take the necessary action to obtain the following demands:
1. Terminate AND void ALL contracts and affiliation with Brett Kavanaugh at George Mason University.
a. Release any and all documents including but not limited to: emails, donor agreements, and contracts related to the hiring of Brett Kavanaugh as faculty at George Mason University.
2. Hold a Town Hall to discuss Kavanaugh’s hiring and implications for students and the university by April 25th 2019 and hold a public comment section, and inform students through their MasonLive email, one time (at the least) that said public comment section is taking place.
a. A formal apology from administration to survivors
3. Title IX policy reform: Increase the number of Title IX officers to the proportion of students at the University.
a. Ensure all syllabi include ALL sexual violence resources offered (CAPS, SSAC, hotlines, etc.)
b. Ensure that any student reporting sexual misconduct in their residence hall has the right to relocate within a month to other on campus housing, free of charge.
4. Ensure that the Board of Visitors and Faculty Senate pass and implement a Gift Acceptance Policy in order to prevent outside donor influence by May 2nd 2019.
5. Better resources for student survivors of sexual assault.
a. Hire an on-campus sexual assault examiner nurse(s)
b. Hire a sufficient number of full time clinicians at CAPS in accordance to International Association of Counseling Services guidelines (IACS)
c. Ensure that students have free access to rape kits. Including but not limited to transportation to facilities.
6. Campus Police Reform.
a. Hire an on-campus 24/7 Mason PD Sexual Assault Coordinator
b. Require that police inform survivors of their right to free peer advocate from SSAC
c. Require all incidents of sexual harassment and violence be reported within 30 days to students
d. Require all Mason PD officers and cadets undergo comprehensive, trauma-informed sexual violence training
Follow Us on Facebook: Mason For Survivors
Email us at email@example.com
Today: Sara is counting on you
Sara Deriso needs your help with “Tell President Cabrera: Support Mason 4 Survivors #CancelKavanaughGMU”. Join Sara and 15,150 supporters today.