Treat our housekeeping staff like friends, not labor.
This petition made change with 392 supporters!
On March 25th you asked for our feedback; this is the reply from students, alumni, faculty, staff, and concerned community members. Eastern University and GCA Services have not fulfilled their commitment to faith, reason, and justice, nor their duty to treat the housekeeping staff, past and present, in a responsible and dignified manner.
We stress our frustration on these accounts:
- The hasty switch from Arthur Jackson to GCA Services, without notification or clarification for the staff.
- Rescinding their promise of employment, three weeks after re-hiring the staff.
- Failing to give the staff enough time to appeal the decision, or seek other employment.
- Failing to notify the student body & staff of the unfortunate events.
- Failing to support the staff after multiple years of committed service.
- Failing to apologize to the staff or the university concerning the events.
- Referring to the new staff as 'labor' in the apology email sent on 3/25
These actions are not in keeping with Eastern's spirit of community, and therefore demand change. In particular, we advocate for:
- Restitution to the previous staff
- An apology to the previous staff for the way they were treated
- An apology to the current staff for referring to them as labor
- A pledge to the students, alumni, faculty, staff and greater community that the current housekeeping staff will be treated with dignity, even if that requires going above and beyond the requirements & regulations of the law.
In short, we want our housekeeping staff to be treated as friends, not labor.
Today: Jason is counting on you
Jason Jensen needs your help with “Tell Eastern University that its housekeeping staff are friends, not labor!”. Join Jason and 391 supporters today.