It’s time for the federal government to stop punishing same-sex couples. It’s time to repeal DOMA (the Defense of Marriage Act).
• would be a repudiation of the forces of hate and division who have long pushed to enshrine discrimination further in federal law.
• would mean federal recognition of all marriages in states like Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Washington, Maryland and Washington, D.C. -- including the state-recognized marriages of same-sex couples there.
• would stop the government from selectively withholding the 1,300 or so legal protections that only legal civil marriage affords.
• would remove a discriminatory blemish from federal law, sending a powerful moral message.
It’s becoming clear that the walls excluding LGBT Americans from equality under the law are coming tumbling down. The Judges and state legislatures who have come down on the side of equality are doing their jobs -- now Congress needs to do theirs. Take action now to make sure that Congress eliminates DOMA.
- U.S. House of Representatives
- U.S. Senate
It's time to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). At this moment of change and progress, it's time to undo a serious mistake made by Congress 14 years ago. The federal government has no business discriminating against loving families by selectively withholding the roughly 1,300 legal protections that only legal civil marriage affords.
It's time for our leaders to eliminate DOMA. Congress must show leadership on this issue and send the long overdue legislation to repeal this relic of hatred.
People For the American Way started this petition with a single signature, and now has 92,816 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.