PLEASE STOP THE TOLL ROAD THROUGH SAN CLEMENTE AND HERE IS WHY?
1) San Clemente and TCA decided long time ago that a toll road through SC would have devastating effects - our General Plan specifies 50% open space. This toll road will ensure economic hardship, neighborhood and community cohesion by bisecting our city, negative response times for first responders, air quality, noise, traffic, visual impacts and environmental impacts.
2) The settlement agreement between the TCA and the environmental groups (which had the route around San Clemente ) creates significant environmental impacts to San Clemente's watershed, endangered species and mitigation land (open space) equal or worse than the Green Alignment (around San Clemente)
3) We believe that the mobility study in November was flawed, where the questions forced you to give an answer to one of the routes. At no point did the TCA disclose that the Green Aligment was off the table knowing full well they were in the process of settling a lawsuit.
4) Transportation is changing at a fast pace. Don't build 1970s technology when we can have hyperloop, drone taxis and self-driving cars.
5) Employment centers are NORTH!! People don't drive to San Diego for work. As one councilmember from North OC said: "we want this toll road so we can go to dinner in San Diego if we want to" . That is not a reason to destroy San Clemente
6) This is a vanity road - only wealthy people can afford this Toll Road
7) Our homes values, views, health and quality of life will be deeply affected
8) San Clemente should not be the sacrificial lamb for Rancho Mission Viejo and their OVER DEVELOPMENT
9) Their own mobility studies indicate that ARTERIAL are better solutions - La Pata to Cristianitos. Crown Valley to 241. Create new arterials not on maps yet.
10) Transportation is changing - Self Driving cars, Drone Taxis and Hyperloops -for the councilmember that wants a vanity Toll Road to go to dinner in San Diego, invest in the hyperloop - it will get you there in 30 minutes.
11) We have already widened the I5 Freeway. San Clemente will be subjected again to years of construction and widening of the freeway to make the connection to the 5.
12) One of the alignments would go very near 6 schools - San Juan Hills High, Vista Del Mar, Marblehead, Bernice Ayres and Truman Benedict and San Clemente High. In 2003, California passed a law that freeways can't be constructed 500 feet from schools. Living near a freeway has detrimental effects on learning, lung capacity and higher risks of cancer.
13) We value our open space and we bought our homes as such. If we wanted to live in Irvine, we would do that but we chose San Clemente. San Clemente is nearly 100 years old, is fully developed. The TCA has never gone through a fully developed city
14) Cost per mile to build this Toll Road could be at par with the failed bullet train (Pacific Research Group)
15) We have the highest tolls in the nation. To compensate with sagging ridership, the Toll Road has risen their Tolls 12 times since inception.This is just another Tax on citizens - (Pacific Research Group)
16) According to Pacific Research Group, The Toll Roads have received over $1.7 Billion dollars of taxpayer money through grants, developer fees. Once the Toll Roads are completed, Caltrans is responsible for maintaining roads at Taxpayer expenses. Fix the current roads.
17) If this was truly about mobility, lower pricing should be offered at the other Tolls (241 nd 73) to take more cars off the road. Use price management according to times of the day.
18) San Clemente does not meet Air Quality Standards (AQMD) NOW, a TollWay will add more to this problem.
19) The open space that you want to go over is already been used as mitigation land. You can't mitigate the mitigation land.
20) None of the studies included minority groups and disenfranchised groups that will not be able to afford to ride on this VANITY Toll Road.
21) According to their own studies - this Toll Road will have minimal impact on traffic reduction -2% to 8%.
"San Clemente was founded and built by Ole Hanson, my grandfather, with a very beautiful idea in mind: An authentic Spanish Revisionist Architecture town by the sea that blended into the gorgeous landscape and ocean shore. Quality of life was one of the main ideas, with the nice Mediterranean climate complimented by the Sunshine. Here, he considered, was just the place for swimming, walking, exercise and health in harmony with nature. The plan was right out of Ole Hanson's philosophy of life that he shared with his good, late friend, President Theodore Roosevelt. Now, those who have no interest in the City of San Clemente, nor the healthy lifestyle it promotes, nor the beauty of the city and it's history, plan to sully the beauty of this magical place with a hideous toll road. This is something that my grandfather would oppose intensely....And I share his sentiments. This monstrosity must be stopped and not allowed to proceed. Oppose this with every inch of your political fortitude. I stand with you. Phil Halfhill Hanson"
#notmytollroad photo credit: Craig Book
- 5th District Orange County- Supervisor
TCA Board, 5th District Supervisor Lisa Bartlett, Gov Jerry Brown
- State Senator
Stop the Toll Road Through San Clemente!
San Clemente Cares started this petition with a single signature, and now has 3,029 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.