Holy Trinity Church located at 501 Park Street in Syracuse, New York operated as a Catholic Church from 1912-2009. In 2010 it was designated as a LOCAL PROTECTED SITE by the Syracuse Landmark Preservation Board. The Preservation Association of Central New York (PACNY) supports the designation of Holy Trinity Church as a Local Protected Site based on its historic, architectural and artistic significance to the city and Central New York. Holy Trinity Church, built from 1905 to 1912, is one of Syracuse’s most impressive Gothic Revival buildings. Designed by Syracuse University trained architect Charles W. Eldridge (1882-1947) and decorated by dozens of large stained glass windows from the studio of Otto F. Andrle (d. 1933) of Buffalo, the two-towered Gothic church is one of Syracuse’s most striking neighborhood landmarks and one of its finest religious spaces.
According to the property tax files the church was sold in December 2013 to the North Side Learning Center who plans to lease the church to an Islamic society, which would rename it 'Mosque of Jesus the Son of Mary.' On February 14, 2014 the North Side Learning Center submitted a Certificate of Appropriateness Application (CA-14-01) to the Syracuse Landmark Preservation Board to 1) Install a 6 foot chain link fence around the property and 2) Remove the 6 crosses from the top of the church.
"WE, THE UNDERSIGNED, RESPECTFULLY CALL UPON THE SYRACUSE LANDMARK PRESERVATION BOARD AND OTHER HISTORIC PRESERVATION ORGANIZATIONS/GOVERNING BODIES TO DENY THE REQUEST TO REMOVE THE CROSSES FROM THE TOP OF HOLY TRINITY CHURCH."