Transform North Sydney's, HMAS Platypus site into a landmark public garden.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
PETITION to SYDNEY HARBOUR FEDERATION TRUST
We call for Sydney Harbour Federation Trust (SHFT) to demolish the 3 huge, ugly factories and create a magnificent Sydney Harbour garden park for all to enjoy.
The reasons for this are:
- Spending any funds to revive these factories would be a waste. These factories were built as temporary structures and have no architectural, cultural or heritage merit.
- No uses have been specified or disclosed by SHFT for adapting these massive buildings on this relatively difficult site.
- Any leasing interests from any organisations would be kept confidential by SHFT. Concern has been expressed about a possible undesirable mix or amount of commercial-light ‘manufacturing’ type uses and attracting few customers or visitors.
- A better solution is to turn the majority of this quasi-industrial site into landscaped public open space, catering to the variety of recreational needs of the local population, from the very young to the elderly that will be double in size within 10 years.
We want SHFT to:
- Demolish the 3 huge factories and create an open garden park for all to enjoy.
- Revise the plans, allow on a small section of the land at the rear of about 20% be for quality residences to cascade down the cliff-face on and from the main car-park location. This would secure funding for this major landscaping project, add vibrancy to keep any café barista happy, greenery to soften the escarpment and draw more people through this tucked away but precious site.
- Provide better, clear options for car parking, and a possible one-way traffic flow through the site and detailed designs for controlling noise levels across the bay.
- Engage with the community more transparently using public displays for feedback before any building works are approved for construction.
- Re-adapt the buildings that have true heritage significance – Retort House, Exhauster House and the Coal Store and invite open collaboration from design teams and public.
We ask the community to:
Sign the petition:
Sydney Harbour Federation Trust demolish the 3 huge, ugly factories
and create a magnificent Sydney Harbour garden park for all to enjoy.
Go to: Facebook.com/FriendsofPlatypus and LIKE, Comment and share the link.
Give us GREAT IDEAS to help transform Platypus into a landmark garden park.
Email images and photos of your great ideas to: FriendsofPlatypus@gmail.com
OR Post to our Facebook page by clicking at ‘Community’ on the left of the page.
Start a conversation and raise the awareness.
‘The community that comes together can achieve great things.'
Today: Friends of Platypus is counting on you
Friends of Platypus needs your help with “Sydney Harbour Federation Trust: Transform North Sydney's, HMAS Platypus site into a landmark garden.”. Join Friends of Platypus and 88 supporters today.