Support Transparent Food Labeling
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
This petition supports advocacy for mandatory food labeling transparency on food packaging.
As American Citizens, we have the right to know what food we are buying and what we are feeding our families, which is why we Americans must support mandatory and transparent food labeling laws.
Supporting this petition would implore Congress to hear the voices of its constituents who demand mandatory GMO labeling and rejection of the of legislation that keeps these facts hidden. Legislation such as Deny Americans the Right to Know Act (DARK Act). Support of this petition also includes advocacy for legislation that supports labeling transparency, H.R. 913 Genetically Engineered Food Right-to-Know Act.
Like most Americans, I simply want to know what’s in my food and how it was produced. I strongly oppose legislation that would deny me this right, and I urge you to voice your opposition in order to protect our right to know what’s in our food. Studies consistently show that the vast majority of Americans support GMO labeling. Some 64 nations around the world already have laws supporting this right.
The DARK Act, recently introduced in the Senate by Senator Pat Roberts, would pre-empt GMO labeling laws already passed in Vermont, Maine and Connecticut. This is a start but clearly not enough.
The DARK Act keeps consumers uninformed and support of H.R. 913 provides resolution to deserving transparency. I urge you to do everything in your power to stop legislation such as the DARK Act and instead support the consumer's right to know what's in our food.
GMO and Food Labeling Facts:
- Polls show nearly 90% of Americans support on package labeling of GMO food.
- More than 4 million Americans have joined a petition urging FDA to require labeling of GMO foods
- GMO products are linked to significant health problems such as gastrointestinal disorders, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, depression, autism, infertility, cancer and Alzheimer’s disease
- GMO labeling will not increase food costs. Companies frequently change labels to highlight new innovations or to make new claims
- The US is currently growing approximately 173 million acres of GMO crops, producing over double the amount of the next biggest county
- GMO crops do not feed the world. Conventional and GMO corn and soybean yields have increased at the same rate. What’s more, farmers produce only 4 percent of rice, wheat, fruits, and vegetables, and most U.S. corn and soybeans are used for animal feed and ethanol, not food.
- Widespread adoption of GMO crops has increased annual applications of glyphosate – a probable human carcinogen – from 16 million pounds to more than 280 million pounds.
Thank you for your support!
Today: SIMON is counting on you
SIMON LOZANO needs your help with “Support Transparent Food Labeling”. Join SIMON and 280 supporters today.