Support Solutions to Gun Violence that Work
There are enormous costs associated with the unusually high rates of gun violence in the United States. Debates about gun control often drift towards general arguments about whether guns make us safer or less safe, and gun control is equated with restricting gun ownership. However, gun control reform does not disarm law-abiding adults; rather, adopting these reforms can reduce gun violence and save lives.
Solutions to curb gun violence in Maryland might include:
• Require a license to purchase a handgun with appropriate age restrictions, mandatory safety training and fingerprinting, in addition to the current background check done by the Maryland State Police without taking any law abiding citizen’s gun
• Require fingerprinting before a firearm purchase
• Limit Magazine Capacity to 10 rounds instead of 20 rounds per magazine
• Ban Military-Style Assault Weapons designed to kill and inflict the maximum amount of human carnage
• Provide the Maryland State Police with the authority to regulate firearm dealers and require that a licensed dealer keep records of all receipts, sales, and other dispositions of firearms affected in connection with the dealer’s business
These steps will protect our rights outlined in the Second Amendment but also protect our livelihoods.