Support of a Scarborough Subway!
The benefits of our Scarborough subway proposal are many, including:
* the subway provides Scarborough residents with a fast, efficient way to travel to and from Toronto's downtown core
* the subway eliminates the time consuming transfer at Kennedy station
* the subway provides convenient access to our subway system for people living north of the 401 for the first time ever
* the subway eliminates the need to shut down the entire SRT line for a four or five year construction period
* the subway line is almost 70 % funded if the Ontario government provides the $1.8 billion in transit funding it previously promised
* the predicted demand for our subway line, at 14,000 people per peak hour, means that the subway will not operate at a loss
* the subway will promote growth, revitalization and new employment opportunities in Scarborough
* an additional 5 million trips per years will be taken on the subway (as opposed to the LRT) and therefore there will be more people getting out of their cars which means less traffic congestion
WHEREAS the Scarborough subway is a fast and efficient way to travel to and from Toronto's downtown core
WHEREAS the predicted demand for the Scarborough subway line means that the subway will not operate at a loss
WHEREAS the subway eliminates the time consuming transfer at Kennedy Station.
WHEREAS the Scarborough subway will attract 5 million additional trips per year more than the proposed LRT
WHEREAS the Scarborough subway proposal eliminates the need to shut down the entire SRT line for a four year construction period
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that we the undersigned support
the motion by Councillor Glenn De Baeremaeker to build a Scarborough Subway.
Today: Glenn is counting on you
Glenn De Baeremaeker needs your help with “Support of a Scarborough Subway!”. Join Glenn and 15 supporters today.