- Martin SchulzPresident of the European Parliament
- Jose Manuel BarrosoPresident of the European Commission
- Herman Van RompuyPresident of the European Council
Support Career Development of Contract Agents in EU Delegations
To improve the effectiveness of the human resources policy and provide Contract Agents with real career perspectives taking into account the climate of austerity and the need to achieve smart savings in the interest of the service.
- President of the European Parliament
- President of the European Commission
Jose Manuel Barroso
- President of the European Council
Herman Van Rompuy
Contract Agents in Delegations represent 52% of all statutory expatriate staff. They are highly qualified professionals, mainly recruited at Functional Group IV, and perform administrative, advisory, and other functions that require skills and responsibility at high level. Their employment conditions are similar to those of Officials; they are eligible for indefinite duration contracts and benefit fully from the application of Annex X of the Staff Regulations.
Despite this situation, Contract Agents in Delegations are excluded from proper professional development prospects, deprived of any career promotion system, denied access to internal competitions and to certification procedures.
To improve the effectiveness of the HR policy and provide Contract Agents on indefinite contracts with real possibilities for professional growth, tangible career perspectives and sustained motivation, the
following proposals are necessary and modifications to the EU Staff Regulations (SR) required while taking into account the climate of austerity and the need to achieve smart savings:
• Provide access for CAs on indefinite contracts to EU internal competitions on the same lines as the existing access granted to Temporary Agents (TAs). Currently CAs are not eligible for internal competitions for jobs they are already performing and/or are qualified to perform. Why allow TAs access to internal competitions, yet deny this to CAs? Art 29 of SR should be amended as follows: "[…] a competition internal to the institution, which shall be open only to officials, temporary
agents and contracts agents as defined […]". Related articles of SR and of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants (CEOS) shall be consequently adapted;
• Develop a certification procedure for CA IV to become AD and for CA III and II to become AST. ASTs with good work appraisal can, after a number of years in the service, apply for a certification procedure to become ADs. Most AST competitions do not require University degrees
and managerial experience, whereas CA IV positions do. Hence, it is coherent to allow for CA IV to be entitled to access on an equal basis the certification process to be promoted to AD and for CA III
and II to be promoted to AST;
• Organise Specialist EPSO Competitions on a regular basis at AD7 level and above instead of AD5. When the institutions have access to CAs as a reservoir of candidates with the relevant work experience and a proven track record within the EC, it is irrational to favour the hiring of candidates with no previous work experience (level AD5);
• Harmonize the CAs salary grid system with the existing salary grid system for Officials / TAs. The salary grid for CAs has 18 grades (subdivided in 5 grades per function group), and 7 steps in
each grade; whereas Officials / TAs have 16 grades and 5 steps in each grade. Consequently, CAs are further disadvantaged with a "slower" salary scale progression than ADs and TAs. It is therefore proposed to amend Art 93 of CEOS and related articles accordingly;
• Provide access to CAs in Delegations to management positions. Amend Art 80.2 of CEOS and other related articles replacing the sentence "under the supervision of Officials and Temporary Staff"
with "under the supervision of the hierarchic superior";
• Introduce and implement a structured mobility framework for CAs in Delegations given that the legal basis necessary for such mobility is in force since October 2010 (Art 2 of Annex X) and this would enhance career opportunities.
Transparent Football started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,014 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Transparent Football is counting on you
Transparent Football needs your help with “Support Career Development of Contract Agents in EU Delegations”. Join Transparent Football and 1,013 supporters today.