Save Recess in Menands!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
Recently, Menands School Superintendent Maureen Long announced a decision to cut recess time to 10 minutes per day, and completely eliminated recess for 6th-8th grade. This decision will hurt the academic, social, and emotional development of the students.
10 minutes is NOT ENOUGH. We ask for students at the Menands School to be given 30 minutes of recess per day.
Among many other benefits, research shows that:
- Students are significantly more attentive and better able to perform cognitively after a physical break.
- Children gain the opportunity to practice social skills and role-play with peers at recess when at recess.
- Through play at recess, children learn valuable communication skills, including negotiation, cooperation, sharing,problem-solving, and coping skills, such as perseverance and self-control.
- Recess allows a student time to rest, play, imagine, think, move, and socialize. It can encourage creativity and problem solving.
- The benefits of physical activity and fitness made available at recess contribute to a child’s overall health and well-being.
Today: Scott is counting on you
Scott Hobson needs your help with “Superintendent Long: Save Recess in Menands!”. Join Scott and 347 supporters today.