Sundararājāsana Project - Honouring BKS Iyengar on his 100th Birth Anniversary
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
A Call to the Worldwide Yoga Community to support the Sundararājāsana Project!
We believe that naming a pose after Yogāchārya BKS Iyengar would be a wonderful way to honor his legacy on the occasion of his 100th Birth Anniversary on 14th December 2018. A recognition of his immeasurable contribution to the world of yoga.
Please show your love and support of this important project by signing this petition.
WHY A SUNDARARĀJĀSANA?
● BKS (Bellur Krishnamachar Sundararāja) Iyengar brought āsanas to an unprecedented level of perfection by creating a symphony of alignment, symmetry, harmony and proportions: all qualities of beauty (sundara means beautiful, noble). He was the King (rāja) of āsanas! His destiny was already written in his name! 'Alignment is Enlightenment!' is one of his most famous quotes. He revered the body as a temple of the soul and he dedicated all his life to the teaching of āsanas as powerful tools for inner transformation and purification. He taught how all the other 7 limbs of Yoga may be perfected through the practice of āsanas. His mission was to prove that anyone, regardless of age, creed, gender, status, race can climb the heights of spirituality and realise through their own bodies that they are sparks of divinity. An āsana dedicated to him would embody his message to the world and would allow anyone whose life has been transformed by his teachings to honour him in a way he would have certainly liked.
● BKS Iyengar revived the dying art of yoga and spread its message on a worldwide scale. He changed the course of Yoga history forever by attracting millions of people to the practice of Yoga and by making this noble art accessible to all through the unique use of PROPS. These are now widely used in all Yoga studios worldwide. The old, the sick, the weak can all practise yoga with the use of supports. Sundararājāsana would be a tribute to BKS Iyengar's all embracing compassion and to the universality of his teachings.
● BKS Iyengar is recognised as one of the greatest Yoga masters of our times by Yoga practitioners worldwide. His demonstrations, books, quotes and talks have inspired generations of seekers on the path of yoga. Sundararājāsana would carry BKS Iyengar's message to everyone's heart. It would encourage all travellers on the path of yoga to become united in the pursuit of inner freedom.
● All the great sages of the past Bharadvāja, Marīchi, Vasishta, Vishvāmitra have an asana in their name. Century after century they stand as an example to follow and they inspire us to deepen our practice. Sundararājāsana would remind us of BKS Iyengar's journey in this world (and what a journey that was!) and his power to uplift and transform us. It would stand as an encouragement to follow in his footsteps and seek what he sought.
● BKS Iyengar once said he would have liked to die in an āsana. So may his memory rest in an āsana. Sundararājāsana would be a befitting abode for him for eternity.
We are aware that there is not an authority as such that can approve this, but we strongly believe that if we start introducing Sundararājāsana this will be incorporated into the Classical Yoga Tradition over time and Sundararājāsana will carry BKS Iyengar's legacy to eternity. Every time a practitioner performs Sundararājāsana it would be a living tribute to one of the greatest Yoga Masters of the XXI century.
SUGGESTED ĀSANAS TO BE NAMED SUNDARARĀJĀSANA:
● Parivrtta Ardha Chandrasana BKS IYENGAR CREATED THIS ĀSANA. It didn't exist in classical yoga literature before! Sundararājāsana would be a tribute to his remarkable contribution to the Classical Yoga Tradition.
● Dvi Pada Viparita Dandasana BKS Iyengar loved backbends. Dvi Pada Viparita Dandasana is the Yogi Prostration to God. BKS Iyengar was a deeply religious man, completely devoted to the Divine. Dvi Pada Viparita Dandasana was part of his daily practice and is one of his most iconic postures. This is an accessible pose that even beginners can do with support. Please note this is NOT an attempt to replace the classical name. Sundararājāsana would rather be an additional name of the classical pose. Dvi Pada Viparita Dandasana aka Sundararājāsana in the same manner as Paśchimottanasana aka Ugrāsana or Bramacharyāsana.
PLEASE NOTE: other āsanas can also be suggested! If you wish to suggest a different pose which you feel better represents BKS Iyengar and conveys his true essence, please indicate your choice together with a motivation in a comment at the bottom of this page.
ALL SUGGESTIONS WILL BE SUBMITTED TO THE IYENGAR FAMILY. IT TRULY DOESN'T MATTER WHICH ĀSANA IS CHOSEN AS LONG AS WE HAVE A SUNDARARĀJĀSANA!
THE ULTIMATE DECISION ABOUT THIS PROJECT AND THE CHOICE OF ĀSANA LIES WITH THE IYENGAR FAMILY.
The Iyengar family has been informed of the growing interest in and support of this project. However, it is the worldwide community of practitioners that can bring this idea to fruition. The greater the support, the greater the possibility!
THIS IS A MATTER VERY DEAR TO US AND WE SINCERELY HOPE YOU WILL CONSIDER SUPPORTING AND PARTICIPATING IN THIS PROJECT.
After signing please leave a comment and share the petition on Facebook!
Today: Iyengar Yoga is counting on you
Iyengar Yoga Community needs your help with “Sundararājāsana Project - Honouring BKS Iyengar on his 100th Birth Anniversary”. Join Iyengar Yoga and 1,460 supporters today.