Subsidizing solar panels

Subsidizing solar panels

Started
June 4, 2022
Petition to
State Representative Sean Garballey and 1 other
Signatures: 148Next Goal: 200
Support now

Why this petition matters

Started by Xitiz Shakya

Solar panels are not affordable for everyone, but in order to turn green in Massachusetts, we have to make sure it is affordable for everyone. Solar panels cost around 12,000 dollars on average, and while people can save 38,000 dollars over 20 years, many don't have the money to do this. This is why we are asking the state of Massachusetts to subsidize the rate of the cost of solar panels for less fortunate residents by 2,000 to 4,000 dollars. Please join us to show that Massachusetts should make solar panels more affordable. More details are in the letter below:

"

June 3, 2022

Dear Governor Charlie Baker,

We hope you are doing well. We are writing this letter to you as part of our Civics Action project. We are eighth graders from Ottoson and our names are Eric Ross and Xitiz Shakya. Our group is proposing a policy of lowering solar panels by 2,000 to 4,000 dollars. This is because solar panels are not affordable for everyone. This includes state representative Sean Garballey who is the chairperson of the Global Warming and Climate Change Committee who we have spoken with. In order to have solar panels for everyone, including less fortunate residents, we must lower the costs. While there are subsidies to lower the costs, it still costs 10,000 to 13,000 dollars. According to our group’s survey, only 20% of respondents said they could afford it knowing the cost. This is why we are asking the Massachusetts government to allocate between 1.7 billion to 2.1 billion dollars in lowering the costs of solar panels by 2,000 to 4,000 dollars for less fortunate families over the next 10 years. This way the bottom 25% of homeowners can afford solar panels. In addition, we want more time for homeowners to pay back loans.

The problem is not that people don’t want solar panels. In our group's survey, only 11% of people said that they did not want to install solar panels.  This means the other 89% is open to solar panels, but many responded it isn’t affordable. If the government subsidizes solar panels, then lots of people will get solar panels. Our group’s survey shows that 60% of people would get solar panels if the government subsidized the cost of solar panels and another 23% of people would be open to getting solar panels.

We are also asking that the Massachusetts government put T.V. ads about the financial benefits of solar panels and the subsidies that are already available. This would be similar to the ad campaign to have more people vaccinated against coronavirus. According to our group’s survey, 30% of people didn’t know that people could save money from solar panels, and only 32% of people knew that people could save a lot of money. This is why the state government must put T.V. ads. In addition, the state government can ask local governments to put commercials about solar panels. Having ads from the government is critical because there are many ads on youtube that say that solar panels are free. Many of these can be scams and they don’t sound very believable. This makes some people feel like solar panels aren’t a good idea. By having the government post ads, people will feel a sense of trust in getting solar panels.

Overall, we are asking the state government to subsidize solar panels by 2,000 to 4,000 dollars by allocating 1.7 to 2.1 billion dollars over the next 10 years, so that less fortunate people can afford solar panels. In addition, our group is asking the government to put T.V. ads about solar panels. We must have Massachusetts do more to reduce its carbon emission in order to save the planet. Subsidizing solar panels is a way to do this and we are asking the Massachusetts government to implement this plan.

                                                              Sincerely,

                                                                                Eric Ross and Xitiz Shakya"

Support now
Signatures: 148Next Goal: 200
Support now
to help others easily find and sign the petition.

Decision Makers