Repeal BJU Covid Protocols!
Repeal BJU Covid Protocols!
Bob Jones University has reinstated mask mandates for an estimated time of two weeks. Students returned to campus under the premise that the semester would be normal. However, Bob Jones University went back on its word after the student body was reassured during the opening ceremony that this semester would be free of Covid protocols. This happened in under 10 days.
The following reasons are why Bob Jones University should repeal its mask mandate and return campus to a normal life:
1. The students were promised a semester free of Covid protocols. This misinformation swayed students in their decision to attend Bob Jones University. We understand things change, but we were assured Bob Jones would not. Students returned to campus knowing the risk they were taking coming back. The possibility of catching Covid-19 was never out of the question and is part of the risk we willingly take.
2. Masks take a physical toll on people. They suppress basic human interactions with peers, and thus isolate people instead of bringing them together. The inability to see others smile and laugh has a deep mental impact on an individual. These protocols encourage depression and feelings of intense loneliness.
3. Masks affect the quality of education. Bob Jones University prides itself on being a project-based university. Many of these projects rely on meaningful and close interactions with people. The Covid protocols greatly hinder such communication, thus minimizing the effectiveness of what is taught and compromising the "Bob Jones Premium.”
4. Masks affect people socially and spiritually. Developing deep Christian relationships that encourage spiritual growth is discouraged through the use of masks and social distancing. College offers two main things, an education and a unique social opportunity. Bob Jones University offers an especially unique opportunity in that our social interactions are based on God. This is the reason students attend BJU instead of a cheaper secular college. The implementation of these protocols greatly diminishes the amount of this unique social interaction available, thus asking the question, “Why Bob Jones University?”
5. Mask mandates are ignored by the very politicians and organizations who have implemented those mandates, thus indicating that they don’t believe in the mandates themselves and that these mandates are a form of social theater. Clearly, these leaders do not believe that the mandates are an effective way to combat the virus.
6. Dr. Pettit said he hopes we trust Bob Jones to care for our health. The Health Task Force’s inability to anticipate a Covid outbreak such as the one we are now experiencing proves that this task force has failed at its primary goal and has shaken our confidence.
7. After hearing that Bob Jones is following the CDC and the WHO, we do not trust Bob Jones to make health choices for our individual personal health. The CDC and the WHO both have been found to repeatedly suppress the truth in regards to Covid-19. These agencies frequently change their stance, thus indicating political compromise and lack of precision. They and their guidelines should not be taken as 100% accurate.
In summary, this petition does not deny that Covid-19 is spreading on campus. What it does refute is that masks and social distancing are in our best interest in order to stop the spread. We believe the “cure” is worse than the disease. For these reasons, we ask that Bob Jones University repeal the Covid restrictions.
While we disagree with the Covid restrictions, we are thankful for your heart behind the actions. We love Bob Jones University and want to see it continue to be a place where faculty, students, and staff are excited to be.