Improve FIN 3403 - 301, 302
Improve FIN 3403 - 301, 302
The students enrolled in FIN 3403 for Summer 2021 have had many concerns about the structure of our class and its effect on our success. Below is a list of concerns that the class has come together and accumulated.
- He stated and started putting in the instructions of multiple recent assignments that if we type our document, we receive a 0. He says it needs to be printed and written legibly but many students voiced inability to or lack of access to a printer. These may be for reasons of not being on campus or other reasons, but either way he was very dismissive to our concerns. He then kept teaching and said something about a stylus pin which is very presumptuous that we have one, can go buy one or have technology with a screen big end to edit and entire document with one. A phone screen is far too small.
- He tells us false information regarding the recording of our classes. He has said on multiple occasions that the university blocks recordings so that we can be in attendance. Dr. Ira Bates, his immediate boss, advised us in a meeting on June 9, 2021 with roughly 8 other students that he can unlock them if he chooses to. However, on Canvas, the link are still unavailable to us so we can’t go back and review them.
- Inconsistency with assignments, some are listed on Canvas but some are not. We’ve had this issue back in Chapter 3-5 and it was perceived to be involved until we were all assigned Chapter 7 and 8. All of those assignments were assigned on Canvas but Chapter 6 was not and many students received 0’s on Cengage decreasing the Cengage grade which is 50% of our final grade.
- His inability to Explain questions we think are fairly simple without getting frustrated causes him to be continuously dismissive. A couple of memorable examples will be listed below.
- During the class from 4:45 PM to 6:20 PM right before our meeting with Dr. Ira Bates on June, 9, 2021, we tried to tell him that not only do Canvas assignments were not all syncing to Canvas so we were not able to see all that we are expected to complete. We also expressed that the syllabus, for example did not show Chapter 4 and it was expected that we do it, on top of the fact that the dates on all 3 locations were not aligning. When we asked why the dates don’t align and which date to go by, he very attitudinally said all of them.
- We asked in class Monday, June 27, 2021 which chapters will be on the Exam we took on Wednesday, June 29, 2021 after a misunderstanding of the chapters covered. He stated in class last week that the chapters we cover will be tested. When he said in class Monday, June 27, 2021 that we had covered Chapter 9 when Chapter 8 wasn’t even due on Cengage until June 28, 2021, students became concerned with what he’d include on the exam. When multiple students asked what chapters would be included, he became short and irritable.
- When students have asked him for study materials for the exams, their attempts have been unsuccessful. Because of all of the previously listed concerns, not knowing what to study while also not having clarity of our expectations adds to our concerns. Exams are the other 50% of our grade.
- Some assignments are created by him on Canvas that don’t contribute to the final grade. They are either 0 or 100%. They will be used for curving. While the syllabus states that, our concern not the grading but that he doesn’t go over how to do them until after the due date and he has very tedious instructions so it puts us at a disadvantage. While we can resubmit, we can’t go back to see the class where he explains them so we are likely to still have mistakes and get graded a 0. Even if we do get it completely correct, we are now getting a late penalty and weren’t truly given the opportunity to get the best grade.
- In class on June 16, 2021, we were reviewing an assignment that was already due on June 10, 2021 and I had already received a 0 for the assignment for doing it incorrectly when Students had already completed what the instructions stated. He stated in class when asked do we use the excel template he provided (as the instructions say) or the formulas he was going over, which for the record were being explained for the first time after the due date, and he said the formulas but the instructions contradict that and multiple students in turn received a 0.
- He asked us in the beginning of the semester to label our excel spreadsheets for assignments at the top of them with the assignment, our name and the class and section. He says in class last Wednesday, June 16, 2021, that in addition to that, to make sure we also put to term (Summer 2021) or he cannot grade it which is an automatic 0. When asked for clarification because he hadn’t previously said anything about adding the term, he became very rude and short.
All students that sign this petition agree, by their own merits, with the totality and truthfulness of our collective concerns. We are asking for a change, whether that be in class structure or some other form, in order to better serve our chance for success in this course. This course is an academic requirement for all business students. Along with it being required, it is a junior level course which means it is part of the last 60 credits of our undergraduate degree. For those students intended to pursue the MBA program, it is required that we maintain a 3.0 in our last 60 credit hours.