*STUDENTS WHO ARE WILLING TO DISCUSS THIS TOPIC TO A PRINCIPAL/TEACHER ARE BETTY FOLEY, SOPHIE EWING, AND ALEXIS PLUMMER*
Recently, students of Davisville Middle School can no longer use both stairwells to go either direction. The up only and down only stairs have caused numerous problems to DMS students. This rule was put into place to “remove traffic” when in reality it has just added more. Some students who have their lockers by their science classrooms are already having a tough time making it to all of their classes on time. This new rule is making their stress to get to class even higher. Another example, a team G student who’s locker is at S-5, instead of going upstairs to room 200, they have to walk all the way around the school. These following problems have occurred from this new policy:
- Late to class, taking away class time
- More running in the hallways, to get where they have to go, leading to students tripping
- More students tripping leads to even more trips to the nurse’s office, taking away even more class time
- Teachers having to write many passes, wasting paper
- Causes stress on students and teachers
- Team N and G students after being dismissed from the gymnasium by each sitting section, are getting to their locker in the morning at about 8:10, if not later. This has made many teachers upset at students when there is nothing they can do about it.
Re-enforce prior rule of staying to the right side of the stairs. Staying to the right side doesn’t add any injuries to students, if anything reduces it. Since the one way stair system rule has been put into place, more teachers have been watching the stairs to make sure people are using the correct stairs. Instead, those teachers can be making sure that children are on the right hand side of the stairs. In the past, I myself have seen fights happen on the stairs. It is a great idea to have teachers monitoring the stairwells.