Extend the sanctuary - BAN fishing around Campbell Island!

0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!

The Government has again bowed to fishing industry pressure and refused to extend a marine reserve aroundCampbell Island/Moutere Ihupuku. This uninhabited subantarctic island is New Zealand’s southern-most island and is renowned for its unique flora and fauna. Recognised as one of the most pristine places on earth, it is an important breeding ground for seabirds and marine mammals. 

New Zealand's unique flora and fauna is constantly under threat. Campbell Island, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is not immune. For years, conservationists have worked tirelessly to rid the island of feral sheep, cattle and rats, since restoration efforts began in in 1954. Yet there is no protection for the native taonga species that have flourished there since. The Campbell Island snipe and critically endagered Teal, six species of albatross, rockhopper penguins, and the whales, seals and penguins that breed there and roam it’s waters.

In 2014, 39% of the territorial sea around the island group was set aside as a marine reserve. The remaining 61% was earmarked for similar protection in five years’ time, to allow the fishing industry to determine the viability of deep-sea crab fishing. The fishing industry has not yet proven that deep-sea crab fishing would be viable, yet Fisheries minister Stuart Nash has still declined to increase the marine sanctuary to cover the remainder of the waters around Moutere Ihupuku.

The fishing industry has shown no interest in protecting marine mammals and ecosystems around mainland NZ. They should not be given any opportunity to threaten one of the most pristine areas in the world.

Every Kiwi has a responsibility to look after this beautiful place we call home. The health of the motu and everything that lives there depends on it's ability to retain and increase the biodiversity we see there today. SIGN NOW to continue Campbell Island's recent proud history of restoration and protection and to fully protect it's pristine waters.