Strengthened Traffic Calming in Erin Woods
Strengthened Traffic Calming in Erin Woods
Why this petition matters
As community residents, taxpayers, voters and citizens we deserve safe streets. We owe it to the community of Erin Woods, our children and our neighbours to do everything we can to make our home a safer place for everyone. Over the years there have been fatalities, hit and runs and a litany of other incidents causing serious bodily harm to both adults and children. As a result, there have been countless complaints to the city and a desperate need for improvement on the roadways through Erin Woods. Despite the City and community spending two years consulting and then another four years since 2015 implementing a $1M "traffic calming" plan, many of the same traffic problems persist. A few issues have been ameliorated with the new infrastructure, but more still needs to be done to make our roadways safe. If even after all of the changes that have been implement, we continue to watch our families and neighbours fall victim to hazards that are easily addressed.
The Erin Woods Community Association, and the residents of Erin Woods are tired of counting the incidents. We’re hoping that this petition will get the attention of our Ward 9 Councillor Gian Carlo Carra, and the municipality of Calgary. We hope the signatures on this petition, accompanied with the following list of major incidents within our community over the last few years, will garner the attention of those in the city who have the power to help us. We need better lighting, stronger enforcement, and painted crosswalks that catch he eyes of drivers. We need meaningful consultation with the city to make things better.
All this begs the question: if traffic calming works, then why isn't it working? Let's figure this out together.
Please sign and share this petition, and call 311 to request action. Every single person in Erin Woods knows somebody in our community who is been negatively impacted by the poor conditions of our streets, and the dangerous behaviours of people who drive on them.
The following incidents have either been reported on the Erin Woods Community & Surrounding Neighbours group, or from local newspapers. It is in no way a complete list.
- 2015 - September 18th - 16-year-old Nick Paswisty was struck and killed trying to cross Erin Woods Boulevard (aka 'the Boulevard / Blvd').
- 2015 - Valentine’s Day, a mother and daughter were both struck on a crosswalk on the Boulevard. The young girl was put in a full body cast, the mother was also injured.
- 2016 - Nov 9th – Hit and run with parked vehicle on Erin Circle and on Erin Woods Drive.
- 2017 - May 6th – 3 car hit and run incident with parked vehicles.
- 2017 - May 26th – Hit and run with parked vehicle.
- 2017 - Sept 4th – A little boy was struck by a vehicle outside the Erin Woods Terrace area, and required medical attention.
- 2018 – September 13th – major vehicle incident outside of the Petro Canada injuring one driver. Emergency responders called to scene.
- 2018 – October 30th a man in his 40’s was struck on the crosswalk in front of the Petro Canada. He was taken away in an ambulance, but survived.
- 2018 – November 24th – Hit an run with parked vehicle in the community.
- 2019 – July 3rd – Major hit and run on the Drive next to the school in the morning. Damage to several parked vehicles.
- 2019 – May 21st – City bus strikes parked vehicle.
- 2019 August 1st – Hit and run incident totals resident’s truck, over 34K in damages.
- 2019 – August 19th – Hit and run with a parked vehicle on the NW side of the drive before the school.
- 2019 – August 30th – A parked motorbike was struck and the driver fled the scene from Erin Woods Drive near the schools.
- 2020 – March 4th – Hit and run incident with parked vehicle on Erin Woods drive before the school.
- 2020 – March 19th – Hit and run incident on Erin Road with a parked vehicle.
- 2020 – April 3rd – Hit and run with parked vehicle on Erin Ridge Road.
- 2020 – October 24th – Hit and run incident with parked truck on Erin Woods Drive before the school. This was the third time this family has had their vehicle struck.
- January 28th 2021 – Vehicle drives directly through the private fence of a home on Erin Grove, thankfully only damaging the fence.
- 2021 – April 16th – a little boy was struck by a car in the morning on the Boulevard next to the crosswalk.
- 2021 – May 1st – Hit and run with parked Jeep on Erin Ridge Road.
- 2021 – May 31 – Mother and her 10-year-old child were run off a crosswalk next to the school by a white van speeding down the road. The mother yelled at the van to slow down, the passenger yelled expletives at the mother and her children.
- 2021 – June 22 – Out of control vehicle took out several feet of private fencing in Erin Woods and drove off.
- 2021 September 6th – A family was almost struck crossing the crosswalk at the 3-way stop by the school. The police were notified of a reckless driver.
- In 2021 a child was struck by a driver on the boulevard, breaking his leg.
- January 19th 2022 an 11-year-old girl was struck on our "notoriously dangerous" crosswalk by PetroCan by a driver who fled the boulevard after the incident.
- March 17th 2022 – Hit and run incident on 57th & Peigan. Driver was stopped at the red light and was struck by a driver. The driver then fled the scene.