- Hon. Daniel Andrews MP (Premier of Victoria)Premier of Victoria
- Hon. Adam Brooks MP (Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading Tas)Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading Tas
- Hon. Yvette D'Ath MPOffice of Fair Trading Qld
- Hon. Victor Dominello MPOffice of Fair Trading NSW
- Hon. Jane GarrettConsumer Affairs Victoria
- Hon. Michelle Hopkins Roberts MLAConsumer Protection Department of Commerce WA
- Hon. John Rau MPConsumer and Business Services SA
- Hon. John Wessel Elferink MLAConsumer Affairs and Fair Trading NT
- Hon. Annastacia PalaszczukPremier of Queensland
- Hon. Michael Bruce BairdPremier of New South Wales
- Hon. Malcolm TurnbullPrime Minister of Australia
Lemon Laws Needed for Houses! No consumer protection exists for our biggest asset!!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500.
On A Current Affair 30th September It is absurd that you can return a pair of faulty jeans bought for less than $100 to the seller under State consumer protection laws but you have ZERO consumer protection rights if you buy a defective house that cost a fortune under the current "buyer beware" doctrine. This old fashioned legal application has caused serious financial stress to innocent property buyers especially first home buyers and those that buy under "duress" conditions at auctions without first getting a pre-purchase building report done. Astoundingly 61% of home buyers are NOT getting professional reports done before they buy! (according to a Westpac survey in 2016). There are many hundreds of cases where the buyer has suffered major financial loss as a result of Caveat Emptor. An example would be a consumer buying an older property with water leaks, subsidence and termite issues. As the seller does not need to disclose anything relating to the condition of the property under current Sale of Land contracts in Australia (except in the ACT), the unsuspecting buyer must pay $100,000+ for underpinning, $15,000+ for a new roof and $20,000+ to rectify the termite damage and prevent future damage without any right to claim compensation from the seller because legally the fault lies with the buyer for not having done their due diligence. This is unjust! The winners of this legal loop-hole are the sellers who do not have to disclose defects and the real estate agents who act on behalf of the seller to gain their commissions based on a percentage of the sale price. We urgently need to update our laws to protect home buyers from being ripped off by unscrupulous practices. By supporting this petition you can help bring about fairer laws so that your children and future generations will be protected against buying dodgy homes. We need to follow the lead of the ACT and the UK where the seller must disclose structural defects to the buyer.Just like a road worthy certificate must be provided when selling a used car, the same logic should apply to houses.
- Premier of Victoria
Hon. Daniel Andrews MP (Premier of Victoria)
- Prime Minister of Australia
- Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading Tas
Hon. Adam Brooks MP (Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading Tas)
- Office of Fair Trading Qld
Hon. Yvette D'Ath MP
- Office of Fair Trading NSW
Hon. Victor Dominello MP
- Consumer Affairs Victoria
Hon. Jane Garrett
- Consumer Protection Department of Commerce WA
Hon. Michelle Hopkins Roberts MLA
- Consumer and Business Services SA
Hon. John Rau MP
- Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading NT
Hon. John Wessel Elferink MLA
- Premier of Queensland
Hon. Annastacia Palaszczuk
- Premier of New South Wales
Hon. Michael Bruce Baird
- Prime Minister of Australia
Hon. Malcolm Turnbull
Support call to abolish unjust law of "Buyer Beware" for innocent home buyers and follow lead of the UK and the ACT
BuildingPro started this petition with a single signature, and now has 296 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Trish is counting on you
Trish Mackie-Smith needs your help with “Stop UNSAFE houses being sold! Buyer Beware law must change in interest of justice! No consumer protection exists here. It's time to update our laws!”. Join Trish and 295 supporters today.