Boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr has been charged with Domestic Violence and ordered to serve 90 days in Jail after pleading guilty to an attack on his ex-girlfriend with two of their children watching. However, On January 6, 2012 Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa made a ruling that would allow the fighter to not have to turn himself into police until AFTER his Cinco de Mayo fight, not having to report until June. "The ruling by Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa to allow Mayweather to begin his 90-day stint on June 1 came with the fighter's manager and supporters, including rap star Lil' Kim and R&B artist Ray J, in the courtroom as a defense lawyer cited the economic boost that Las Vegas could get from the bout."
Not only does this ruling show SPECIAL TREATMENT to a celebrity who has a long history or Domestic Violence charges, it is sending out a message to all Domestc Violence victims out there that both the Las Vegas Court System and HBO Boxing Commission care more about money than the lives of innocent victims. My family recently lost my mother because of Domestic Violence, and I am disgusted by this ruling and the fact that the boxing commission will allow a Domestic Violence offender to continue to fight! Any other offender would be forced serve jail time for this heinous offense, regardless of their "prior commitments" they may or may not have had.
Domestic Violence continues to be a major problem in our society- with an average of 3 women killed EACH DAY here in America. It is also estimated that 1.3 million women are victims of physical assault by an intimate partner each year.
According to an article by ESPN (http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7432860/floyd-mayweather-jr-avoids-jail-time-june) Mayweather's previous history includes:
- Being convicted in 2002 of misdemeanor battery stemming from a fight with two women at a Las Vegas nightclub, received a suspended one-year jail sentence and was ordered to undergo impulse-control counseling. Wright said that case was overturned on appeal.
- He was fined in Grand Rapids in February 2005 and ordered to perform community service after pleading no contest to misdemeanor assault and battery for a bar fight.
- He was acquitted by a Nevada jury in July 2005 of accusations that he hit and kicked Harris during an argument outside a Las Vegas nightclub.
- He was acquitted last October of misdemeanor allegations that he threatened two homeowner association security guards during a parking ticket argument separate from the one in November.
- Mayweather also faces a civil lawsuit in state court in Las Vegas from two men who allege he orchestrated a shooting attack on them outside a skating rink in 2009. Police have never accused Mayweather of firing shots, and he has never been criminally charged in that case.
Mayweather may have dodged the bullet on all his prior offenses, but it is finally time for him to the court system to step up and hold him responsible for what he has done! Just because he is a celebrity boxer he should not be shown special treatment.
This petition is to ask Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa of the Las Vegas Court system to reverse her ruling and mandate the boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr report to jail to serve his 90 day sentence immediately. We are also asking the HBO Boxing Commission and PPV to consider the message they are sending to the public, especially victims of Domestic Violence, by allowing a Domestic Violence offender to continue to FIGHT.
Aaron Knudsen started this petition with a single signature, and now has 75 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.