Stop exploitation of employees by private sectors in India
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
A lot of Indian companies still follow the 6-day work week schedule. Why? Can a 6-day work week be more productive than a 5-day week? Let us read 3 stories and how many of us can some or other way relate with the stories?
Sunitha from Mumbai is a single mom and works in private sector. She has to work 6 days a week and look after her one son. A 5 day work week will make it more comforting situation for people under certain scenario.More over her company is very strict with entry time in office , if late by 10 mins, it is absent but they work till 9 pm and longer and the time is not adjusted with entry time or extra pay. Is it not exploitation?
Prahlad from Dhadwad works in a Pvt college as lecturer for a meager salary of 30000. His work place is some 8 hour/one night away from hometown. He has a pregnant wife and old parent at Dharwad. The money is not enough and still he does not have time to go and meet family every week. He does not have time to go for banking need, as employer will deduct money. Which bank remains open on Sunday? He is not busy all 48 hours work week, but owner of engineering college or private university thinks as they pay, people should seat inside the campus premise. What a stressed teacher can teach? What we can teach students all 48 hours a week. Here both student and teacher need 5 days week scene. Where is the respect for teacher or human life?
Revathi in Bangalore works in a biological company and has to take care of son and sick husband. Most of the times she is stressed and keep on planning what are the things she has to finish on Sunday and weekdays during night time. She also needs time for daily bath, cook and travel. She can only dream about holiday or relaxed time in her life after 48 hours work week
On May 1, 1926, Henry Ford’s automobile company, Ford Motor, became one of the first American companies to introduce a five-day, 40-hour work week. While this was criticised a lot in the beginning, as time passed, it proved to be a brilliant technique to boost productivity.
In Telegraph, UK the below list was published in 2017. (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/nationalities-that-work-the-longest-hours/
1. Mexico - 2255 hours per year
2. Costa Rica - 2212
3. South Korea - 2069
4. Greece - 2035
5. Chile - 1974
6. Russia - 1974
7. Poland - 1928
8. Latvia - 1910
9. Israel - 1889
10. Lithuania - 1885
11. Iceland - 1879
12. Estonia - 1855
13. Portugal - 1842
14. Turkey - 1832
15. Ireland - 1820
16. US - 1783
17. Czech Republic - 1770
18. Hungary - 1761
19. New Zealand - 1757
20. Slovakia - 1740
21. Italy - 1730
22. Japan - 1713
23. Canada - 1703
24. Spain - 1695
25. Slovenia - 1682
26. UK - 1676
27. Australia - 1669
28. Finland - 1653
29. Sweden - 1621
30. Austria - 1601
31. Switzerland - 1590
32. Belgium - 1551
33. Luxembourg - 1512
34. France - 1472
35. Netherlands - 1430
36. Norway - 1421
37. Denmark - 1410
38. Germany - 1363
In India the work hour varies from yearly 2080 (40 hour/week) for Govt sector, multinationals to yearly 2496 (48 hour/week) banking, school, college, and other private sectors. Are we doing any better? If majority of people working in Pvt Sector are adding up to the growth of the country happily?
Let us take a different scenario of countries where people work 5 days a week. They plan for trip Friday night to extended families, or some sightseeing to countryside/villages. They drive or they take public vehicle. So when city takes rest, country side gets busy with travelers. You find local business, farmers are happy to welcome tourist. And Sunday night people returns to home for another fulfilling work week. Or in case there is no plan to travel out of cities families and friends gather together with kids. They cook together, go to zoo or shopping or play. So there stress gets released and they are ready to perform with happy mind and enthusiasm in their work. But major part of working Indians can only see such life in Movies or in their dream.
Mostly MNCs are following the 5 days working days. Even Govt organizations including Govt colleges and universities follow 5 working days. Although in research institutes there is a flexibility of time, so people end up working everyday variable hours based on their other commitments. But productivity and happiness among employees are high.
But banking sectors, courts, private colleges, universities and schools are open 6 days and 48 hours a week. And work responsibility, job insecurity, and stress are much more for all these sectors. People stop enjoying their work and it becomes a routine job where there is no prize waiting at the end of week rather one Sunday full of grocery and cleaning responsibility.
Importance of 5 working days:
1. Our society is family oriented. Now days, people are moving away from hometown for job and confined in nuclear family set-up, where both spouses work and kids get neglected. Under this circumstance, a 5 working day will give them the flexibility to finish household responsibility as not all services can be hired, parent can give quality time to kids when they have two days leave than one day leave which will occupy to clean and do grocery. Backbone of our society can be saved.
2. 5 days work week will also encourage people to visit their hometown frequently to meet extended family.
3. It will also encourage people for short tours. People who enjoys travel they will be thrilled and excited to work effectively as they will have enough time from Friday night till Sunday night to go on trekking or local sightseeing. This will again increase local tourism.
Solution for some critical service sector:
1. Government can strictly impose rule for 40 hours work week for all sectors. Anything more should be paid separately and cannot be forced on the people. As many banks and colleges call their employees on Sunday for meeting over phone and not using email as it is illegal practice.
2. For sectors like banking and entertainment (shops, restaurants, hospitals) flexible and shared work hour should be implemented. When an employee have to work more than 40 hours, should get paid separately.
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!