Since 1980's, the remote Mentawai Islands have been attacked by fishermen using dynamite to explode the reef in order to kill fish. With increasing tourism and local populations, the bombers can no longer operate in secrecy. This practice must stop! We are petitioning the Indonesian government to help Mentawai patrol her western border in order to stop bomb fishing and other illegal activities.
Bahasa Indonesia Version: https://www.change.org/id/petisi/hentikan-bom-ikan-di-mentawai
- Head Of Mentawai Regency
- Director of Fisheries Resources
- Directorate General of Fisheries Quotas
- Violation Management Director, DG Control of Marine Resources & Fisheries
- Director General of Inshore and Small Islands
- Secretary General Marine and Fisheries Dept.
Gellwyn D. H. Yusuf
- Head of Police, West Sumatra, Indonesia
West Sumatra Police
- Head of Mentawai Fisheries
- Head of Mentawai Tourism
- Governor West Sumatra, Indonesia
It is with great concern that we ask you to quickly and permanantly stop the destructive practices of reef bombing and cyanide poisoning that is presently going on in the Mentawai Islands, Indonesia. We trust you will give this request your immediate attention.
Mentawai Madness Stop the bombing! started this petition with a single signature, and now has 7,420 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.