Sponsor a bill to make frozen yogurt the state food of California
This petition had 14 supporters
Everyone already knows that California is the leader of frozen yogurt. Let's make it official!
Reasons why frozen yogurt should be the state food of California:
- While frozen yogurt was invented in New England in the 1970s, the new wave of frozen yogurt was popularized in California. The second wave started when Pinkberry opened its doors in 2005.
- California has the most frozen yogurt shops and is second in yogurt production (behind New York)
- California has inspired frozen yogurt shops across the world. Some shops are named after CA, including California Berry in the Philippines, California Yogurt Kraze in Alabama and California Frozen Yogurt in Margate, NJ. Honey Hill Farms, a leading frozen yogurt mix producer, has a frozen yogurt flavor called California Tart.
- Frozen yogurt fits with the California lifestyle as something light, refreshing and healthy
- Both Pinkberry and Red Mango opened their first US shops in the Los Angeles area and California is the home to the leading players of the frozen yogurt industry, including Pinkberry, Yogurtland, Menchie’s, Tutti Frutti, Cherry on Top, Nubi Yogurt, and Golden Spoon.
- Chains like Pinkberry, Yogurtland and Menchie's have the majority of their locations in California. Yogurtland has served over 1 billion ounces of frozen yogurt. Menchies has over 400 locations. Yogurtland has 300+ locations. Pinkberry has about 250 locations.
- The Pinkberry brand has been designed and managed by a LA-based branding firm called Ferroconcrete. It has appeared in numerous TV shows, including Gossip Girl and Curb Your Enthusiasm. Pinkberry is in the Urban Dictionary - the definition is: "Los Angeles frozen yogurt chain that's more addictive than crack." Pinkberry's public relations strategy involved leveraging the popularity of Pinkberry with celebrities.
- Celebrities (e.g., the Beckhams, Reese Witherspoon, Mila Kunis, Britney Spears, Jennifer Garner, Rachel Zoe, Charlize Theron, Rob Lowe) living in LA have often been captured visiting frozen yogurt shops by paparazzi.
- Google, which has its global headquarters in Mountain View, CA, released their Android operating system Android 2.2, codename Froyo, in May 2010. A giant frozen yogurt statue can be found on at Google HQ
Today: International Frozen Yogurt Association is counting on you
International Frozen Yogurt Association needs your help with “State Sen. Mimi Walters: Sponsor a bill to make frozen yogurt the state food of California”. Join International Frozen Yogurt Association and 13 supporters today.