Stop Abuse and Neglect in Tennessee's Animal Shelters!
This petition had 2,992 supporters
SHAME ON TENNESSEE LAW MAKERS AND OFFICIALS.
Here’s what’s happening every single day in many of Tennessee’s taxpayer-funded animal shelters and pounds:
Dogs and cats are inhumanely murdered in “shelters” and then their bodies tossed out in a field behind a taxpayer-funded “shelter” like garbage.
- Animals are murdered by barbaric, cruel, painful, heart-stick and gassing in taxpayer-funded shelters.
- Taxpayer-funded Animal Control Officers murder animals, obstruct attempts to save animals, and perpetuate ongoing neglect and abuse in taxpayer-funded shelters.
- Infant animals are murdered without ever being given a chance to be adopted or rescued.
- Owner-surrendered animals are murdered immediately upon release to a “shelter” without ever being given a chance to be adopted or rescued.
- Retaliation murders of shelter animals are performed when citizens expose taxpayer-funded shelters’ inhumane, illegal and barbaric practices and demand change.
- City and county officials lie to and threaten their citizens who ask them for their help in remedying the cruel and illegal shelter practices in the shelters they run.
- Shelter employees, and city and county officials violate volunteers and citizens their First Amendment rights under Section 1983 by banning them from the shelters if they speak out about shelter conditions or actions.
- City managers state and then carry out, threats that if animal protection activists do not stop their efforts to improve the shelters’ conditions, they will kill even more animals.
- Animals in taxpayer-funded shelters that killed due to “overcrowding” when there is ample room in the shelter.
- Animals in taxpayer-funded shelters are killed because the shelter staff doesn’t want to do their job and clean the shelter and feed the animals.
- Taxpayer-funded shelters have no heat or cooling for animals, leaving them in life-threatening conditions year-round.
- Taxpayer-funded shelters are not required to publicize the animals they take in, so citizens who have a lost family pet may never know that their pet is in a shelter. Therefore the pet could be abused, neglected, or even brutally killed and the family not even have an opportunity to reclaim their pet.
- Taxpayer-funded shelters “lose” dogs that possibly are sold or used for dog-fighting bait.
- Puppy Mills are abundant and there is no effort on the part of Tennessee officials to stop them.
- Bills by Tennessee lawmakers protect and hide animal abusers and threaten animal activists.
This is what the state of Tennessee allows and condones to happen to those creatures that need us. And they are using OUR tax dollars to do it. Then threatening us when we stand up for the animals.
Tennessee has some of the most shameful taxpayer-funded animal shelters in America. Furthermore, animal protection laws are weak and those that exist are rarely strictly enforced.
THIS IS NOT HOW TENNESSEANS WANT OUR TAX DOLLARS SPENT.
CITY AND COUNTY SHELTER EMPLOYEES SHOULD NOT BE EXEMPT FROM ANIMAL CRUELTY LAWS.
IT’S TIME TO STOP TAXPAYER-FUNDED ANIMAL ABUSE AND CRUELTY IN TENNESSEE.
LAWMAKERS – YOU MUST STOP THIS!
1. The undersigned demand that Tennessee Lawmakers create and enact new laws that stop animal abuse and ALL animal abusers, including shelter staff and employees in Tennessee as soon as possible.
2. The undersigned demand that Tennessee Lawmakers prohibit animal shelters from violating Tennesseans’ First Amendment rights under Section 1983 by banning, barring or obstructing citizens from shelters, including our right to volunteer and to speak out about the conditions and actions at shelters.
3. The undersigned demand that Tennessee Lawmakers create and enact new laws that prohibit animal shelters from banning, barring or obstructing citizens from taking photographs and attempting to find suitable homes for shelter animals.
4. The undersigned demand that Tennessee Lawmakers create and enact new laws that mandate that all animals in the custody and control of shelters be marketed publicly for a minimum of ten days past their legal holding period.
5. The undersigned demand that Tennessee Lawmakers create and enact new laws that prohibit animal shelters from killing animals for overcrowding when there is available space in the shelter.
6. The undersigned demand that Tennessee Lawmakers create and enact new laws that mandate animal shelters keep accurate record of all animals and their disposition and financial matters. Furthermore, those records must be made public within 15 days from the end of the previous month.
7. The undersigned demand that Tennessee Lawmakers create and enact new laws that mandate basic, humane conditions and environmentally controlled kennel and holding areas in animal shelters.
8. The undersigned demand that Tennessee Lawmakers create and enact new laws that mandate that animal shelter officials and volunteers immediate report all shelter abuse, cruelty or neglect to the local law enforcement.
9. The undersigned demand that Tennessee legal authorities vigorously enforce all Federal, state and local laws and statutes that bring animal abuses, including animal shelter staff and employees and those in oversight of those employees, to justice under the law.
A report by the Tennessee Comptroller recommends that:
- The General Assembly may wish to require that animal shelters follow minimum standards.
- The General Assembly may wish to create oversight and enforcement mechanisms to ensure that animal shelters follow minimum standards.
- The General Assembly may wish to consider requiring training for animal control officers and shelter personnel.
CITIZENS! WHAT CAN YOU DO? START AN E-MAIL CAMPAIGN
E-mails are a tangible way to directly contact your lawmakers. Make the content of your e-mail clear what your concerns are and what you want to happen.
Be respectful, but these are your tax dollars at stake, and these people are supposed to represent your interests, so demand that they be good custodians of your money and that they represent you, not city, county or shelter officials.
Use information in the petition as talking points. Make your voice heard. They use your tax dollars; they should listen to you.
First, contact your local city and county officials about your concerns about your shelter. Call, e-mail or write.
Then contact your state lawmakers.
These e-mail lists are long, so you may want to place them in your e-mail address book as a group and perform a group e-mail.
E-mail all of them, because as a citizen of the state, what happens on this issue in any city or county, impacts you.
Or, go to Mail Chimp www.mailchimp.com and use that program (it’s free) to execute your e-mail campaign.
If/when you get a response, if it’s anything but a form letter stating that they got your e-mail, post it on your FB page and share it far and wide. Let’s find out who supports animal protection laws and compassionate use of our tax dollars and who doesn’t. Then, let’s let the world know which is which.
HERE IS GOVERNOR HASLAM’S E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
HERE ARE YOUR TENNESSEE LEGISLATORS:
Here is a list of state Senators for a mass e-mail. Just copy and paste this into your e-mail address bar.
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,
Here is a list of state Representatives for a mass e-mail. Just copy and paste this into your e-mail address bar.
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
CITIZENS! WATCH AND SHARE THESE VIDEOS:
- Warren County shelter has starving dogs and a pit of dead dogs – March 2013: http://www.wsmv.com/video?clipId=8715895&autostart=true
- Warren County puppy mill bust by the Animal Rescue Corp – March 2011:
- Videos on the Warren County Animal Shelter – August 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkeawzgI-eA
- Dog fighting ring broken up in Ashland City – November 2012:
- News story about the abuses at the Warren County Animal Shelter – January 2012: http://www.wkrn.com/story/16465779/volunteers-allege-abuse-at-warren-county-animal-shelter
- Warren County Animal Shelter director investigated – January 2102: http://www.wsmv.com/story/16463621/warren-county-animal-control-investigated
- Coffee County Animal Shelter abuses: http://www.wsmv.com/story/20571931/protesters-voice-concerns-over-coffee-county-animal-shelter-kill-rate
- Lewisburg and Marshall County Animal Shelter kills dogs in retaliation- July 2012: http://www.wsmv.com/story/19060257/animal-activists-dogs-killed-prematurely-at-shelter
- Protest in Lewisburg about inhumane conditions and retaliatory killing of shelter dogs – July 2012: http://www.wsmv.com/story/19138139/lewisburg-animal-protest
- Lewisburg protest - July 2102 - http://www.newschannel5.com/story/19138758/animal-activists-protest-dog-euthanization
- Lewisburg protest – July 2012: http://www.wkrn.com/story/19137947/dog-lovers-protest-in-lewisburg-after-dogs-are-wrongfully-killed
- Lewisburg protest - July 2012 -http://www.wsmv.com/video?clipId=7555074&autostart=true
SHARE THIS INFORMATION
- Petition to stop the abuse at the Memphis Animal Control with more than 40,000 signers across Tennessee, America and the world: http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-the-abuse-at-the-memphis-animal-shelter
- Petition with more than 9000 signers across Tennessee, America and the world: http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-the-killing-we-demand-an-investigation-of-lewisburg-animal-shelter-s-practices?utm_campaign=friend_inviter_action_box&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&utm_term=4997579
- Petition to stop the abuses at the Memphis Animal Control with more than 6,000 signatures. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/145/justice-for-dogs-starved-at-a-memphis-animal-shelter/
- Petition to stop the animal abuse at the hands of employees at the Memphis Animal Control with more than 1,000 signatures: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stop-memphis-animal-shelter-abuse/
- Petition with more than 4,000 signatures asking that Knox County animal control officers do their job. Their lack of action allowed the inhumane and cruel death of an animal: http://www.change.org/petitions/knox-county-animal-control-unit-investigate-the-death-of-theo-charge-the-owner-with-animal-cruelty
- Employees at the Memphis Animal Control tied to dog fighting ring: http://www.standard.net/stories/2011/11/17/dog-fighting-ring-tied-animal-shelter-workers
- Article about the horrors by shelter employees at the Memphis Animal Control: http://www.examiner.com/article/daily-horror-at-memphis-animal-shelter
- News story about the Memphis Animal Control animal abuse at the hands of employees: http://www.wmctv.com/story/19779363/two-former-animal-shelter-employees-chastised-and-sentenced-by-judge
- Warren County Animal Shelter - http://www.examiner.com/article/disturbing-allegations-of-mistreatment-of-animals-at-one-tennessee-shelter
- National blogger Carrotloves carried the Lewisburg shelter protest. http://members.carrotloves.com/members/carrotloves
- National blogger YesBiscuit: http://yesbiscuit.wordpress.com/2012/07/24/lewisburg-city-officials-bring-the-stupid/
- From YesBiscuit: http://yesbiscuit.wordpress.com/2012/07/19/the-staff-at-the-lewisburg-pound-wants-to-kill-dogs/
- Posts from YesBiscuit about the Memphis Animal Control. There are many, many posts that examine the atrocities at that pound. http://yesbiscuit.wordpress.com/category/memphis-animal-shelter/
- Story about the Memphis Animal Control “practicing” euthanasia on shelter animals. http://www.abc24.com/news/local/story/Memphis-Animal-Shelter-to-Practice-Euthanasia-on/RNUOBZ-4skmqar-48fPfQg.cspx
- Memphis Animal Control has dozens and dozens of animals found dead in their cages: http://www.abc24.com/news/local/story/Memphis-Animal-Shelter-Head-Blames-Data-Error-for/ElQhehLYBUyZ2k_oEBnTHA.cspx
- Memphis Animal Control staff admit abusing animals: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/sep/05/former-memphis-animal-shelter-employees-admit/
- This is a link to a story about the Lewisburg Animal Shelter that ran yesterday in the Columbia Daily Herald. Note that City Manager Engram calls it all a "publicity stunt." He also makes a pretty obvious threat that as long as volunteers make waves, more dogs will be killed.
- A national florist site that has a nav bar with the news of a city you're interested in carried a link to the Lewisburg shelter story.http://www.avasflowers.com/tennessee/florist-lewisburg-tn/
- American Towns website, where people go to gather information about cities and towns, covered the shelter protest, as well as the Nashville television news stories in which Mr. Engram blames the volunteers for the dogs' death and threatens that if the volunteers don't stop speaking out, more dogs will die. It also has lots of comments from visitors.
- Scoopit, a national news-gathering website carried a story about the Lewisburg shelter protest.
- Screamradius, a national website where people go to find out information about towns carried links to all of the media surrounding the unnecessary killings at the Lewisburg Animal Shelter and the protest.
- Worldwide Canine Crusade covered the Lewisburg shelter protest.http://www.facebook.com/events/253413704775103/
- Purzuit.com, a national website where people to gather information about towns they may be considering for vacations, relocation, businesses, etc carried a link to the Lewisburg shelter protest.
- Nashville Paw Foundation covered the Lewisburg shelter protest. http://www.facebook.com/nashvillepawfoundation?sk=wall&filter=2
- Nashvillage Dog Rescue has the Lewisburg shelter protest story covered on their Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nashvillage-Dog-Rescue/152595191503557
- TVDeck - Internet TV on demand - has a link to the shelter protest story, as well. http://nashville.tvdeck.com/
- The protest was also mentioned in an national blog, Environewsblog:http://enviroblogs.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/dog-lovers-protest-in-lewisburg-after-dogs-wrongfully-killed/
- Story about the pervasive animal abuse and cruelty in Tennessee: http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=218277
- The Lewisburg Animal Shelter protest Saturday was reported on by MSNBC.com - that means that it went national! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48375612/#.UBXYqmFfHCY
- Memphis Animal Control: http://www.abc24.com/news/local/story/Former-Memphis-Animal-Shelter-Worker-Indicted-for/XwVmnsy3FE2CJwD9zKdgfg.cspx#.UAt987Pd1-M.facebook
- News story about the pervasive animal abuse and cruelty in Tennessee: http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=218277
- News story about Tri-Cities shelter abuse and cruelty at the hands of employees: http://www.tricities.com/news/article_62f164d0-14bd-58bb-94b1-d026d5ed27b3.html
- News story on the Benton County Mayor and shelter employees’ animal cruelty and abuse: http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/12992
- News story about animal abuse in Cheatham County: http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/2013/01/08/four-arrested-for-animal-cruelty-by-tennessee-bureau-of-investigation-and-cheatham-county-sheriffs-office/
Share this petition everywhere you can. Let’s be sure that the world sees the shameful state of animal shelters in Tennessee.
Today: Jacki is counting on you
Jacki Moss needs your help with “State Of Tennessee Lawmakers: Stop Abuse and Neglect in Tennessee's Animal Shelters!”. Join Jacki and 2,991 supporters today.