Support Sustainable To-Go Packaging in St. Paul
This petition had 165 supporters
The City of St. Paul currently does not require restaurants and other retail food establishments to utilize sustainable to-go packaging. As a result, a large portion of the waste in our waste stream is made up of non-recyclable items that once briefly contained food items for immediate consumption. These items, mostly plastics, have negative effects on our environment (particularly our waterways) and contribute to environmental degradation of our community and beyond. Minneapolis and St. Louis Park both recently adopted "to-go" food packaging ordinances, and we urge St. Paul to do the same.
St. Paul's City Council is meeting on August 2nd to vote on the changes highlighted below (see link for more details). In an effort to support environmental sustainability, we urge the city to approve of the proposed changes to St. Paul Code of Ordinances Chapter 236 and require the use of compostable, reusable, or recyclable food packaging.
- "Amend the current ordinance to apply only to food packaging intended for immediate consumption. Provide 1 year between Council adoption and effective date of ordinance. (See Current Draft.)
- Require the use of compostable, reusable or recyclable food packaging except in cases where there are no commercially available alternatives. The following factors will be used in determining if there are any commercially available alternatives:
Availability, Economic consequences, Competitive effects, Regional context (Items for which there are no commercially available alternatives would be considered an “exemption” to the requirement).
- Establish list of “exemptions” and process for annual review of “exemptions” at time of ordinance adoption.
- Tie the initiative to existing programs:
o Recyclable or compostable will be defined by City’s residential recycling contacts. (This effort will not entail amending the contract.)
o Ramsey County BizRecycling program
- Conduct business outreach and resource fairs during the proposed 1 year implementation period." Source: https://www.stpaul.gov/departments/safety-inspections/city-council-consider-ordinance-amendments-related-%E2%80%9C-go%E2%80%9D-food
For more information, click here: https://www.stpaul.gov/departments/safety-inspections/city-council-consider-ordinance-amendments-related-%E2%80%9C-go%E2%80%9D-food
Interested in doing more? Attend the Sustainable To-Go Packaging Hearing on Wednesday, August 2nd at 5:30pm at St. Paul City Hall (15 W Kellogg Blvd, St Paul, MN 55102).
Today: Victoria is counting on you
Victoria Downey needs your help with “St. Paul City Council: Support Sustainable To-Go Packaging in St. Paul”. Join Victoria and 164 supporters today.