St.Mary's Board Election Petition
St.Mary's Board Election Petition
Why this petition matters
**This is NOT created by St.Mary NC Church - HOWEVER, we are members of the church who are calling for needed change of the St.Mary Board of Deacons for the best interest of our church. The board will not sanction a petition that is asking to remove them. However, our church has seen a schism in the past, and we are working to avoid another one. Our goal is not to divide the church but to allow for it's congregation to have a voice in who represents them.**
Fellow members of St. Mary’s Coptic Orthodox Cathedral,
Due to recent events, we would like to raise awareness to the current state of our beloved church. As members of the body and church of Christ the Coptic Orthodox Church should operate under transparency and in the best interest of the Church as Christ intended. As St. Paul the apostle wrote, “Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.” 1 Corinthians 12:27.
We call on H.G. Bishop Peter to lead an immediate election of the church board members of St. Mary’s Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Raleigh. In order to share complete transparency to allow you to make an informed decision, we turn your attention to the Uniform By-Laws for the Coptic Orthodox Churches in North America. These bylaws were signed by H.H. Pope Shenouda and 8 other bishops on November 28, 1989.
Chapter 6 of the By-Laws governs the process for the Board of Deacons and their roles in the Church. The board of deacons of each church shall consist of the Priest or Priests of the Church and of deacons selected in accordance with the provisions of these by-laws:
- Each member of the Board shall serve for a term of three years or until their successor is duly appointed (article I).
- Article II spells out the complete process for nominating and electing a board which includes a preliminary acclamation of a candidate’s nomination supported by members of the congregation and approved by the Bishop. The acclamation is then to be circulated to the rest of the congregation for a vote and election by a majority result after a public announcement to the Church congregation.
- An auditor is to be appointed by the bishop. His rights and duties are to audit the financial accounts of the church.
- In the event any members of the Board of Deacons or any committee deviates from the faith and Christian behavior or violates his fiduciary obligation toward the Church or his attendance to his duties as a member of the Board of Deacons or a committee, complaints may be addressed to the bishop for an investigation of his actions.
- The Bishop has the right to remove a member at any time and select a successor to him in accordance with the regulations contained in these By-Laws. Likewise, if the Board of Deacons deviates from the custom of the Holy Apostolic church, the bishop has the right to remove the Board and to select a new board.
We ask the members of St. Mary’s Cathedral to sign this petition in support of the immediate election of new church board members by January 31st, 2023. We petition H.G. Bishop Peter for his leadership and assistance in achieving this goal.
Please pray for the unity and peacefulness of our beloved church. As Christ has instructed us, “On this rock, I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” Matthew 16:18.