Women across the Inland Northwest have spoken. The #1 change they would like to see regarding local birth options is the ability to have a water birth in the hospital. Currently, none of the hospitals in Spokane, Kootenai or the surrounding counties have birth tubs/pools or allow women to give birth in water.
Please join Bloom Spokane in encouraging our local hospitals to offer water birth as an option for laboring women. We look forward to partnering with the hospitals to help bring the appropriate resources and trainings to our region in order to make this happen.
Known benefits of water labor and water birth:
• Facilitates mobility and enables the mother to assume any position which is comfortable for labor and birth
• Speeds up labor
• Reduces blood pressure
• Gives mother more feelings of control
• Provides significant pain relief
• Promotes relaxation
• Conserves her energy
• Reduces the need for drugs and interventions
• Gives mother a private protected space
• Reduces perineal trauma and eliminates episiotomies
• Reduces cesarean section rates
• Is highly rated by mothers - typically stating they would consider giving birth in water again
• Is highly rated by experienced providers
• Encourages an easier birth for mother and a gentler welcome for baby
"Support in water is one of the most beneficial things that can be offered to a woman in labor. The water provides a calming influence and a peaceful relaxed atmosphere. Women report that they enjoy their labors and find that the water allows complete freedom of movement and deep concentration."
~ Waterbirth International