Petition Closed

Keep the Spartan Beast in Kuala Lumpur, 8 October 2017

This petition had 267 supporters

This is a petition to revert the decision by Spartan Race Malaysia to postpone till December 9th and relocate to Johor, the Malaysian Beast Race originally scheduled for October 8th 2017.

 This announcement was made 2 months before the original race day and affects the plans of many Spartans.

By supporting this petition, you are asking Spartan Race APAC to keep the 2017 Beast in KL, October 8 as scheduled.

In the event this move is not possible, we hope Spartan Race will consider the alternative proposals to aid the affected Spartans.

As the Spartan Warrior Ethos goes: "I will never leave a fallen comrade"

This petition will be delivered to: Spartan Race HQ, attention Joe De Sena (founder of Spartan Race), Scott Nilson (General Manager of International Spartan Race) and Michael Goodwin (Managing Director of Spartan Race APAC)

- - - - -

Additional Info

The TRIFECTA has been a crucial part of the Spartan Race experience.

Spartan Race Malaysia (SRM) announced in December 2016 its first Malaysia Trifecta Pass 2017. This trifecta pass and several other combo / early bird ticket offers were repeatedly made to benefit the Spartans that were ready to #commit.

In January 2017, Spartan Race APAC announced its APAC schedule with dates and cities set early on so that Spartans can map their #roadtotrifecta.

Note Kuala Lumpur was not marked as to be decided, only Singapore’s November Beast is marked as TBD. Many interested participants have therefore assumed the Malaysian Beast will go on in Kuala Lumpur and have made the necessary arrangements.

The option offered by SRM to defer or claim a full refund for race tickets are appreciated, however many Spartans are concerned that due to the date and venue change

 a) They may not be able to face the Beast this year and complete their trifecta as planned;

b) Those who purchased tickets before the August 3rd announcement have unfairly incurred unexpected additional costs for logistics and lodging.

The undersigned strongly feel that one or more of the following were not considered by the organizers:


• Students: December is the month of Final Year Examinations and some university classes / papers are held on Saturday.
• F&B and Retail: December is the busiest month. Sales targets need to be met, shift changes and leave are difficult to obtain.
• Others: Plans have already been made for December.

We ask Spartan Race to reconsider the date.

If October 8 is no longer an option and it must be in December, can the race be moved to Sunday? Previous KL races have all been on Sundays. This will allow more Spartans to make the journey.



• For the past 8 months, Spartan Race advertised the Beast to be held in “Greater KL”.
• We understand it is the organizer's right to change venue, however Johor is approximately 330km away from Greater KL!
• For some Spartans, due to family / study / work commitments and budget, this is too inconvenient (3.5 hr drive / 8 hr train ride from KL, double the time and distance for those in the northern states)

We ask Spartan Race to reconsider the venue.

If a venue change is not possible, can SRM organize a shuttle bus service between KL (the original destination) and Johor, before race day and after? This would help solve the transportation issue faced by some Spartans and beneficial for those who prefer to not travel long distances overnight and alone for safety reasons.

Uber and Grab discount codes would be much appreciated.



• Spartans know the Beast will not be easy and those coming from afar will need at least a night or 2 of stay.
• Spartans ready for October have already made arrangements. We appreciate SRM looking into losses incurred.
• The date and venue change however requires ALL Spartans to cancel existing arrangements and make new travel and accommodation plans. 

We ask Spartan Race to consider the inconvenience they have caused.

The venue has not yet been revealed. Can SRM release this information as soon as possible so early booking can be made?

As SRM has in previous races partnered with a hotel, we would appreciate if SRM can partner with a range of hotels (from 2* to 5*) so Spartans can choose their budget preference.



• Several Spartans have been working on getting at least 1 trifecta this year.
• The more ambitious have carefully scheduled their calendar to accommodate the KL and Singapore races for 2x Trifecta.
• By combining the last KL and Singapore races, it is one less Beast opportunity.

We ask Spartan Race to reconsider the decision for one less Beast in APAC.

Keep the Beast in KL and have a second Beast plus the Ultra Beast in Johor.

We understand that a trifecta only counts if all 3 races are run in one calendar year.

Should a Spartan who planned to complete one trifecta in Kuala Lumpur or Singapore, be unable to attend the Johor race and defers it to 2018, we ask Spartan Race to consider allowing the merger of 2017 Sprint + Super with 2018 Beast. This move was allowed by SRM in 2016 whereby Sprint finishers of Malaysia's 2015 race were able to claim their trifecta after completing 2016 Super + Beast.

The sudden change in race plans forced upon Spartans have affected those who from the very beginning of 2017 decided to #commit to the #roadtotrifecta. We would appreciate if the Spartan Race Team could hear us Spartans and #commit to the original race plan ... or at least work with us to overcome the obstacles.


Today: Spartan is counting on you

Spartan Union needs your help with “Spartan Race HQ: Keep the Spartan Beast in Kuala Lumpur, 8 October 2017”. Join Spartan and 266 supporters today.