Provide formal consent to remain in the property I am currently occupying.

This petition made change with 92 supporters!

I am writing this letter as a means of petition and requesting that my current circumstances be reviewed and considered in reference to my application to remain in the two bedroom flat I currently occupy.

I am currently living in a 2 bedroom flat which has been provided to me by the Hyde Housing Association as temporary accommodation, this property is not allocated to be used for temporary basis only, there was a long term tenancy prior to us moving in.

I was previously residing in a one bedroom flat allocated to me belonging also belonging to Hyde Housing Association. However, in autumn 2014 my flat and possessions sustained considerable damage caused by a burst water pipe from the flat above following the refit of their kitchen.

I was away at the time of the damage and was not able to return to my flat upon my return, as it was not safe to stay there with my baby. During the course of my absence, I had communicated with some members of the team in the Southampton St Mary’s office regarding the way forward with repairing the damage to my flat. The whole process has taken longer than I anticipated.

Eventually I was then provided with the flat I am currently in, of which I did not feel was fit for purpose. I was not able to make an informed decision on taking this flat as I was not provided with and pictures nor was I able to view it before agreeing to be temporarily housed in it. The floors in this flat are bare and we did not have curtains or cooking facilities. It took about a month for the cooking facilities to be in place, however the flooring was just put down on the 27th March 2015 after I complained so many times as the floor pins, which some were coming off), and exposed insulation in some parts was not safe for my little girl who is now crawling.

Despite the situation and circumstance, my daughter and I have settled in this flat and have had to change our GP, health specialist, health visitor, play groups as we are now too far from the GP and the health visitors we started with. I truly believe that the networks we have built in recent months since we have been in this flat have been really good for my daughters’ social interactive skills and she also seems much happier with the surroundings. For her sake I would really like your help with signing this petition for us to go on with our lives which we have already build here instead of moving us back to a one bed flat.

I suffered from anxiety and depressive episodes while in the previous flat due to some altercations I had encountered there and also to the fact the security door was regularly faulty and thereby making the block of flats unsafe. I also feel very safe here and a lot calmer; I don’t get panicky when I am out and about and generally my emotional and psychological health has improved immensely, which has had a huge impact on my daughter’s emotional wellbeing as well.

Some of my properties that were damaged are not covered by insurance and therefore I am still trying to work out the cost of replacing them. Also, I’ve gone through financial burden as the result of the damage.

Therefore I would like to ask for your help and intervention to enable us to be allocated here permanently so we don’t have to move so many times which will ultimately affect my daughters’ stable and secure environment.

Thanking you in anticipation,

Mwamy Maldlen

Today: N is counting on you

N A needs your help with “Southampton City Council, Hyde Housing Association: Provide formal consent to remain in the property currently occupying.”. Join N and 91 supporters today.