Stop Overdevelopment at La Salette
This petition had 619 supporters
A developer wishes to build 130 rental units, which includes a 4 story high rise, plus 8 townhouses at the former La Salette school property. The planning commission has already approved the first step of this process.
This development is on the former La Salette School property.
- The existing school building will be renovated into apartments and a 4th floor added.
- A 4-story apartment building would be built in the parking lot.
- 8 Townhouses would be built along Oxford Rd.
This request has been presented as a PUD (Planned Unit Development) and will not be required to follow our normal Zoning Ordinances. Some of the concerns are:
- High rental price -- too high for most seniors and singles.
- The proposal is short nearly 100 parking spots for the church and apartment complex to operate together. See the parking analysis.
- Traffic through the neighborhood and parking on nearby streets will be affected.
- Close proximity to existing homes.
- The building heights are not compatible with neighboring properties.
- The city knows that our infrastructure cannot meet capacity and safety needs.
There is support in the community for redevelopment of the school, and even for townhomes, but not for the currently proposed plan.
More information is available at Berkley Citizens United.
The plan will go before the planning commission on Tuesday, June 27 at 7:30pm. They will make a recommendation to city council who has the final say.
We ask that the planning commission and city council reject this proposal and protect our city and residents from this unnecessary and overreaching development.
Today: Berkley Citizens United is counting on you
Berkley Citizens United needs your help with “Sign the Petition! Save Berkley Neighborhoods and Stop Overdevelopment at La Salette”. Join Berkley Citizens United and 618 supporters today.