Requesting MAKAUT West Bengal to Cancel Final Semester exams of Undergraduate Students
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!
We, the final year undergraduate students of MAKAUT in West Bengal, have some confusions about our final semester examination.About this matter we would like to bring your attention towards the practical issues which are relevant to the situation due to Covid-19 as well as WHO’s guidelines.
1) Students having home far away from their College normally stay in mess/ rented houses nearer to college to study. Presently, all the students are at their home due to lockdown. Also many students stay in different states. So as a result those particular students may not get suitable accommodation if the exam is taken hurriedly.And problems like social stigmatisation arise on contamination for many students especially the ones from a rural background
2) As our Govt. is announcing repeatedly to remain aware about the guideline of WHO to maintain social distancing (10/12 feet) as well as to stop gathering to prevent COVID-19, we are afraid to maintain the same rules inside and outside of the College Campus during exams.
3) a. There are many students who are eligible for admission in reputed Institutes/ Universities in India / aboard as they have pre-planned for higher study after finishing graduation.So a health risk or delay in exam schedule may prevent him/her to do so
b. There are many students who have opportunities to start their professional career after completion of Graduation.Same risks they have in pursuing their careers.
c. Final Year Project: We all know there is a final year project, grand viva(in which all the departmental subjects of whole B.Tech. will be asked) are there in the practical section. And in the CSE and IT stream, there are other practical projects are there in the syllabus. For doing this kind of project, they need to do it by consulting with each other and with other educated people who know the subjects well for better co-operations. So in this situation, no one can help students in their problems regarding these projects because if he or she can’t see the problem with his eyes, he can’t understand the problem. Because the size of these kinds of projects are always huge. And for Mechanical and ECE students, they require many parts which must be bought from shops. But in this lockdown, shops are not open except for the essentials. So, why exam?
4) There is no news on the transport systems like trains or buses going regular and on time without having any special rules.So this is also a huge concern for us
5)Giving exams in pen and paper mode at this stage still has a risk of contamination of virus.
6)There is a huge question about giving the exams online because going to the home centers can still cause all the health related problems mentioned above.Giving exams from home is also not possible because many don't possess the means or proper internet connection
- All the above category students have submitted declaration to give Certificate on passing the graduation within July considering all Certificates would have been issued by the University within June as per previous records.
SUGGESTION FOR REMEDIAL ACTION:
To maintain Govt. Circular and to stop spreading of COVID 19 as well as to grab all opportunities by all the students, few Institutes / Universities have taken some remarkable decisions to overcome un-wanted situations some examples are mentioned below.
1. University of Hyderabad(Website:www.thehansindia.com ) have decided to issue Certificates with two flexible option i.e. having average number given by the authority without Exam or give Exam after a certain period of time as per student’s choice
2. Delhi University published notification vide Ref. No.Dean (Exams)/02/2019-20 dtd.14.05.2020. Decision will be taken after carrying out open book test
3. Presidency University & Jadavpur University – As per news published by Anandabazar Pratrika (Bengali Newspaper) on 16th May’20, they have decided some scientific method to judge all students through online assessment before issuing Certificate
4. All final year students of Mumbai University (timesnownews.com) have launched petition to cancel final year Exam as per schedule procedure and final decision is yet to be taken. .
Considering the gravity of situation, we feel, you will be kind enough to review our appeal in such a manner that all the final year’s students would not get problems comparing all other students of other Universities in India.
Do agree with this, share your views and sign the petition.
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!