Make Shaker Heights a Sanctuary City
This petition had 556 supporters
As a group of Shaker Heights residents from diverse backgrounds, we are asking our City Council to join San Francisco, Cincinnati, Columbus, and dozens of other municipalities across the country by declaring Shaker Heights a Sanctuary City. The full text of this resolution can be found below.
If you currently reside in Shaker Heights, Ohio, please join us in supporting this resolution by signing this petition and sharing it with your friends and neighbors.
A resolution to ensure Shaker Heights remains a welcoming and inclusive city for all immigrants to live, work, or visit by declaring Shaker Heights a Sanctuary City; and requesting the Administration of Shaker Heights adopt policies that further the City’s role as a Sanctuary City.
Whereas on Wednesday January 25, 2017, the President of the United States issued an Executive Order, announcing a massive expansion of interior immigration enforcement directing Department of Homeland Security personnel to arrest, apprehend, and initiate enforcement actions against “any alien whom an immigration officer has probable cause to believe” has violated immigration laws;
Whereas on Friday January 29, 2017, the President of the United States issued an Executive Order temporarily banning entry into the United States for migrants and legal residents of the United States from Iraq, Iran, Sudan, Somalia, Syria, Libya and Yemen, and for migrants and refugees from across the globe;
Whereas these Executive Orders are anathema to our shared values as a nation of immigrants;
Whereas in Shaker Heights, as in the United States, our success depends on making sure that all residents feel safe and welcome;
Whereas Shaker Heights always has been and continues to be a welcoming city to everyone, including immigrants;
Whereas the Shaker Heights City School District has a long and proud history of valuing and supporting diversity in its students and its teachings, committing to graduating students with a knowledge of a global and multicultural society; and
Whereas this Council and the citizens of Shaker Heights understand that by recognizing the contributions all of us make to create a vibrant culture and a growing economy, we make our city, and our country, more prosperous and inclusive; now, therefore, be it
Resolved, by the Shaker Heights City Council of Ohio, that:
1. the City of Shaker Heights declares itself to be a sanctuary city;
2. the City of Shaker Heights and its Police Department shall not stop, question, interrogate, investigate, or arrest an individual based solely on actual or suspected immigration or citizenship status;
3. the City of Shaker Heights and its Police Department shall not inquire about the immigration status of an individual, including a crime victim, a witness, or a person who calls or approaches the police seeking assistance, unless necessary to investigate criminal activity by that individual;
4. personnel of the City of Shaker Heights and its Police Department shall not inquire about or request proof of immigration status or citizenship when providing services or benefits, except where the receipt of such services or benefits are contingent upon one’s immigration or citizenship status or where inquiries are otherwise lawfully required by federal, state, or local laws;
5. the City of Shaker Heights and its Police Department shall limit the information collected from individuals concerning immigration or citizenship status to that necessary to perform department duties and shall prohibit the use or disclosure of such information in any manner that violates federal, state, or local law;
6. the City of Shaker Heights and its Police Department may not use city or department monies, facilities, property, equipment, or personnel to investigate, enforce, or assist in the investigation or enforcement of any federal program requiring registration of individuals on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, or national origin;
7. individuals in the custody of the Police Department of Shaker Heights shall be subject to the same booking, processing, release, and transfer procedures, policies, and practices of the department, regardless of actual or suspected citizenship or immigration status;
8. the Police Department of the City of Shaker Heights shall not perform the functions of a federal immigration officer or otherwise engage in the enforcement of federal immigration law;
9. the City of Shaker Heights and its Police Department shall refuse any request from a state or federal agency that is not accompanied by a judicial warrant to determine a resident’s or visitor’s immigration status solely for the purpose of enforcing federal immigration laws; and
10. the City of Shaker Heights and its Police Department shall refuse any requests that that are extensions of any federal immigration police enforcement actions and shall not enter into any agreements to carry out federal enforcement actions, but leave such actions to federal authorities.
Today: Brandon is counting on you
Brandon Cornuke needs your help with “Shaker Heights City Council: Make Shaker Heights a Sanctuary City”. Join Brandon and 555 supporters today.