Petition Closed

Allow Students Travelling on Subclass 500 Visas to Qualify to Work in Hospitality

This petition had 922 supporters

Students Travelling on Subclass 500 Visas are unable to get qualified to work in Hospitality Jobs!

Whilst Students in Australia on a "subclass 500 Student Visa" are permitted to work 40 hours per fortnight or unlimited hours during breaks, they are only permitted to study with a training provider that is registered with The Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) under the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS Act). 

Unfortunately it is not currently possible for a training provider to register a short course such as Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) or Food Safety for Food Handlers with CRICOS and as such students travelling on a subclass 500 Visa are unable to become qualified to serve alcohol in any states of Australia or undertake food safety training, so you will be unable to work in hospitality. 

Once you have a subclass 500 Visa no training provider in Australia can accept your enrolment in their course and if you enrol in one you may be breaching your Visa conditions.

In addition to signing this petition and leaving a respectful comment for the education minister, please register and complain to the Fair Work Ombudsman about this absurd situation. 

Today: Adam is counting on you

Adam Menary needs your help with “Senator the Hon Simon Birmingham: Allow Students Travelling on Subclass 500 Visas to get qualified to work in hospitality”. Join Adam and 921 supporters today.