Simplify the National Speed Limits!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000!
Speed limits aren't as straightforward as you might think!
A scary number of motorists are being caught out with speeding convictions because they're completely oblivious or bamboozled by the fact that speed limits on roads can vary depending on what classification your vehicle falls under.
If you drive a Van or LGV/HGV you should be aware that the national speed limit is 10 miles an hour less than other vehicles on single and dual carriageways. However, if you drive a pick up truck or a car derived van, it can become a very grey area. Even the police sometimes struggle to define which speed limit is applicable to these vehicles, and the advice provided by the department for transport has been singularly unhelpful.
Instead of trying to establish whether or not a complex series of rules and exemptions apply, what we'd like is the law to be updated for so called "dual purpose vehicles" and other commercial vehicles including vans and car derived vans, as the current legislation is outdated and not fit for purpose.
Our suggested change would be for the national speed limit to be standardised to 60mph on single carriageways and 70mph on dual carriageways for all vehicles that weigh less than 3.5t (driveable on a standard 'B' licence), and the lower speed limits to only apply to vehicles over 3.5t (requiring a 'C1' or 'C' licence & above to drive) or vehicles towing a trailer (requiring a 'B+E' licence).
This change would:
- simplify the current legislation
- modernise a law written 30 years ago for old vehicles using drum brakes, and taking into account advances in safety technology like disc brakes, improved stopping distances and ABS on modern vehicles
- increase safety on roads by allowing the traffic to flow better
- reduce driver frustration and the number of vehicles dangerously overtaking on bad roads (especially on roads like the A9).
- allow businesses to move more efficiently across the country, reducing carbon emissions and delays
- Reduce driver fatigue by reducing the number of hours spent behind the wheel each week, hopefully in turn reducing the number of accidents each year involving tired commercial drivers
Today: Ben is counting on you
Ben Law needs your help with “Secretary of State for Transport: Simplify National Speed Limits!”. Join Ben and 4,778 supporters today.