President Biden: Put Wolves Back on the Endangered Species List
0 have signed. Let’s get to 50,000!
Historically, the United States has waged war against the gray wolf and it was nearly hunted into extinction. In the early 1970s, the gray wolf population in the lower 48 states dropped to as low as roughly 300. However, in 1978, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service classified the gray wolf as an endangered species in order to help facilitate the rebound of its population.
In October 2020, the Trump Administration officially removed the gray wolf from the endangered species list as part of its broader goal of undermining and weakening the Endangered Species Act. States then began passing legislation that both allowed and encouraged the mass slaughter of wolf populations.
- Montana and Idaho: Recently passed legislation that allows for the killing of up to 90% of the state’s gray wolves.
- Wisconsin: In February 2021, hunters killed at least 216 wolves in less than 60 hours.
The gray wolf is now at extreme risk of falling to dangerously low population levels.
America depends on gray wolves to serve as an ecosystem guardian from the Pacific Northwest, Rocky Mountains, Great Lakes, to the Northeast. Without gray wolves keeping herbivore populations in check, the ecosystem becomes disrupted leading to a cascading effect for all other animals. In Yellowstone National Park, the eradication of wolves led to a boom in elk populations which overgrazed vegetation around river banks. Beaver populations became depressed as there was a lack of materials due to overgrazing and streams became overloaded with sediment. However, all of the damage was reversed when wolves were reintroduced in 1995. The gray wolf restored balance to Yellowstone and proved just how critical of a component they are to a healthy, thriving ecosystem.
What Happened When A Pack Of Wolves Were Released In Yellowstone National Park: youtube.com/watch?v=X8nyIyPZy68
- Sign our petition to urge the Biden Administration, Secretary Deb Haaland, and the Department of Interior to immediately relist the gray wolf.
- Share this petition to show wolves have support from across the country.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to stay up to date with this urgent issue.
- Visit RelistWolves.org to easily send a message to your Senators and Representatives.
Today: Luna is counting on you
Luna Raine needs your help with “Secretary Deb Haaland: Restore Protections for the Gray Wolves”. Join Luna and 46,137 supporters today.