To reduce the dangerous and life-threatening speeding on the above mentioned arterial. Such steps include (1) re-routing this inherently dangerous arterial before it causes further death, personal injury and severe property destruction; (2) implementing "traffic calming" devices such as speed bumps, radar signs, additional directional signage, stop signs and lights; and (3) increasing police enforcement of speed limits. In 2004, a motorcyclist was killed on the corner of 5th Ave W and W Raye Street when they hit a tree. Several other incidents have occurred during this time and more recently in the last 3 months include the following: (a) a driver hit a tree on 5th and Raye; (b) an early morning hit and run driver ran into a car on 5th Ave W and; (c) a driver speeding east bound crashed into a yard of a home on 5th Ave West and Raye Street damaging two properties.
Speeding on the arterial poses an ongoing threat to:
- a) pedestrians, especially children walking to and from Coe Elementary School
- b) homeowners crossing the arterial to catch the bus
- c) joggers, walkers, and walkers with baby strollers
- D) people parking their vehicles to attend the local businesses, such as the funeral home
- Seattle Police Department / Department of Transportation
To immediately take all necessary steps to institute some form of traffic calming device on the arterial running along 5th Ave W & Raye St at the intersections of Smith & 5th Ave W & Raye & 7th Ave W
Mary DaSilva started this petition with a single signature, and now has 205 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.