Support change for father's rights

Support change for father's rights

0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
At 200 signatures, this petition is more likely to be featured in recommendations!
Lisa Alford started this petition to Sean Eberhart

 Iam a mother of 2 adult sons who are father's.  Overall, fathers rights in the legal system is totally flawed and needs addressed but right now I am focusing on the fathers rights who has a child out of wedlock.  State of Indiana laws. 

Currently, when a child is born out of wedlock, both parents sign a paternity affidavit that states the father is the biological father. The following important bullet points are in this affidavit.......

Line 5- Since this form has legal consequences, I may want to consult an attorney before signing.
Line 11- The completion of this legal document establishes paternity with no further court action required and gives the mother or the IV-D agency the right to obtain a child support order requiring the father to pay child support.
Line 12- The father will have parenting time as outlined by the Indiana Parenting Guidelines, unless a court rules differently.

On the website the following is covered how paternity is established.......

A man is presumed to be a child's legal father if:
He and his wife are married when the child is born, or
If the child is born no later than 300 days after the marriage ends.
In all other cases, legal paternity must be established in one of two ways;
Paternity affidavit, or
Court order

A Paternity affidavit is a legal document that permits a man and a woman to declare, under penalty of perjury, that the man is the biological father of a child. A properly executed paternity affidavit establishes legal paternity (fatherhood) and parental rights and responsibilities, without the necessity of obtaining a court order. A paternity affidavit may be completed at the hospital within 72 hours of the child's birth or at your local health dept any time before the child is emancipated. If paternity is established by paternity affidavit, the Dept of Health will add the father's name to the child's birth certificate.

Did you know that this paper isnt worth the ink they used to sign their names? It isnt enforceable. The father is still required  to file paternity in the court. This means he has to pay 234$ to stand in front of a judge, even with this affidavit and paternity is established. If the father doesnt file a paternity, according to the state of Indiana the mother has 100% rights and father has zero! My proposition is to allow the father 60 days after affidavit is signed to file affidavit in the court, it is brought to the judge and it is established he is the father in the court. A small filing fee of 25$ to file the affidavit. Now, if the father wants more than what the guidelines offer, he will need to open a case if mother doesnt agree.  She will need to open a case for child support if they cant agree.  

The difference between how it is now and what my proposition for change costs 209$ less doing it the proposed way. It doesn't require a court hearing. Saves time and protects the child and the father sooner. Less chance of losing out precious time with the child and the father.  


0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
At 200 signatures, this petition is more likely to be featured in recommendations!