Don't Tear Apart Our Neighbourhood! Say NO to Proposed Eagle Mtn. Middle Catchment Change
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
Please sign and share this Petition!
On November 29, 2017, our local School District Board (SD No. 43 - Coquitlam) revealed details of proposed catchment changes affecting our tight-knit Heritage Woods "master planned" community in Port Moody, British Columbia. Due to the recent Supreme Court of Canada decision restricting class sizes, we were told that our much anticipated recently built neighbourhood middle school (Eagle Mountain Middle) was going to be over capacity by 50 kids over the span of the next three years (beginning in the 2018 school year). In other words, an average of 17 kids per year could not be accommodated.
To solve this issue, the school district wants to draw a line right through our neighbourhood. This will force those children who live on the outside of the proposed boundary to attend Summit Middle School in Coquitlam - in a different community, in a different city. See affected areas here.
It is clear that the Board has not considered the repercussions of tearing long term community relationships apart, and the effect it will have on our children's social and emotional development during those critical formative middle school years.
The residents of Heritage Woods have come together to ask School District 43 to re-consider these disruptive proposed catchment changes – and consider all other options including the possibility of working with the municipalities of Anmore and Port Moody to use portables.
As a community, we believe that pulling a small number of students away from their friends, their community, and their neighborhood for a short-term fix to what is essentially a three year problem - will have long term negative effects.
The Board is required to follow its own Policy 19, whereby student placement must be guided by certain principles, such as:
- The catchment process should seek to maximize the number of students attending neighbourhood schools.
- The placement process should support stability and continuity for students and families.
Why should our children suffer? It is clear that the Board has not considered all other options and has tried to push this proposal through with the least notice and public discourse possible.
Please sign this petition to the SD No. 43 Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent to voice your opposition to this proposed catchment area change. For more information, check out the details of the proposed changes here.
Please forward this petition to your friends, neighbours, community - we need sufficient numbers to convince the Board to take this issue seriously.
For greater effect, please also:
- Fill out the feedback form and send it as an attachment to "email@example.com" - PLEASE NOTE THAT FORMS MUST BE IN BY DECEMBER 10!
- Check out the GlobalBC News Story.
- Check out, "like", and repost our Facebook Page - click here.
Please also express your support for this initiative by writing (or calling) each of the following representatives:
- Board Superintendent at "firstname.lastname@example.org"
- Assistant Superintendent in charge of this proposal at "email@example.com" or call him at 604-939-9201.
- Port Moody Trustee Keith Watkins at "firstname.lastname@example.org" or call at 604-469-9117.
- Port Moody Trustee Lisa Park at "email@example.com" or call at 604-790-9406.
- Port Moody Member of the Legislative Assembly, Rick Glumac at "rick.glumac.MLA@leg.bc.ca"
- Mayor of Port Moody at "'firstname.lastname@example.org"
- City Coucil of Port Moody at "email@example.com"
We have a limited time to collect signatures before the next Board meeting on December 20, so please sign and spread the word quickly!
Thank you for your support!!
Today: Heritage Woods is counting on you
Heritage Woods Port Moody Parents needs your help with “SD43 Assistant Superintendent Gerald Shong: Don't Tear Apart Our Neighbourhood! Say NO to Proposed Eagle Mtn. Middle Catchment Change”. Join Heritage Woods and 966 supporters today.