Scarborough Borough Council: Stop the installation of rock sea defences in front of Scarborough Spa.
This petition had 2,451 supporters
The proposed rock sea defences are unnecessary, unsightly, and dangerous.
We would like Scarborough Borough Council to reconsider their decision, and pay particular attention to the report sanctioned by the Sons of Neptune and written by respected coastal engineer Dr. Bruce Denness. This report states that there are more appropriate ways of enhancing the performance of Scarborough Spa's Victorian sea wall at a vastly more economic price.
The arguments against the implementation of this scheme are many, including:
- The degradation of a grade II* listed building and heritage site of international importance;
- Creating a hazard in a popular high traffic public area. This being especially dangerous to children who could fall between gaps in the rock armour resulting in serious injury or loss of life;
- Water users (i.e. surfers, swimmers, kayakers, children in inflatable dinghy's) becoming stranded due to the current that sweeps towards the southern cliffs;
- As seen with the Marine Drive armaments - detritus becoming trapped within the rock armour which subsequently rots producing an infestation of rats and bringing with it the spread of disease and unpleasant odours;
- Making an eyesore of an area of outstanding natural beauty;
- Reducing the area of the beach accessible to the public.
There are many other reasons why this is a very bad idea, and people are encouraged to state their concerns on signing this petition.
Let us not forget that Scarborough is Britain's first seaside resort and our economy relies heavily upon tourism. This scheme will cause irreparable damage to our coastline, which will in turn impact negatively upon our local economy.
The Victorians got it right. Let us not disrespect their legacy by allowing this short sighted scheme to go ahead.
Today: Sam is counting on you
Sam Kitson needs your help with “Scarborough Borough Council: Stop the installation of rock sea defences in front of Scarborough Spa.”. Join Sam and 2,450 supporters today.