Say NO to BYOD at Kenmore South State School
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
We the undersigned advise Kenmore South State School that we do not support introduction of BYOD devices for 2018 for the following reasons:
- The process of introducing such a significant change in how our children are taught has been rushed, with minimal parent input, tight and unreasonable deadlines for parent feedback and a lack of planning to manage any negative consequences for our children when using personal devices.
- The executive at Kenmore South State School have been unable to demonstrate any significant and obvious educational benefit, or any overall benefit to lifelong learning of the use of BYOD for our children as demonstrated by the lack of any notable differences in educational outcomes between schools like ours that do not use personal devices and schools like Jindalee State School that do.
- Kenmore South State School has been unable to advise of a strategy to support children whose parents choose not to participate in this programme leaving a very serious risk of these children being socially isolated or bullied by their peers.
- Legitimate concerns raised by health professionals such as the effects of excessive screen time on children, effects developmentally on vision, effects on neurological development related to creative thinking and problem solving as well as negative effects on social development related to excess use of personal devices, have not been addressed by the executive of Kenmore South State School.
- This is a significant cost for many families. This is also potentially a cause of anxiety for children being expected to carry devices worth upwards of $1000 to and from school. We have been informed by the school that breakages occur most frequently during transit to and from home.
We are not against technology or the use of technology in the school
We are against excessive use of technology for young children (especially for Preps to year 4)
We do not want to feel bullied by the school executive
We want real consultation and input into changes in our children’s education
We want the school to be brave enough to arrange information sessions where they tell us the pros and cons not just spend an hour avoiding telling us any downsides and how the school is managing this.
If you support this please sign below. We only have until Friday the 4th of August 2017 to provide feedback. If you support this petition please email a link to this petition to anyone you know with children at Kenmore South State School.
If we don’t fight for our children. Who will?
Concerned Parents KSSS.
Today: Keyewest is counting on you
Keyewest Mason needs your help with “Say NO to BYOD at Kenmore South State School”. Join Keyewest and 130 supporters today.