We are certain that when Mayor Michael Nutter pledged to make Philadelphia “the greenest city in America” he was not referring to the green of plastic grass!
We beg the city, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL PLASTIC GRASS in the Schuylkill River Park dog run or any Philadelphia dog run! We want a natural surface such as wood chips or decomposed granite.
- Plastic Grass holds excessive heat (20-70 degrees above air temp)
- Plastic Grass contains contains lead and antimicrobials harmful to dogs, people and the environment.
- Plastic Grass is abrasive
- Plastic Grass is difficult to remove soft stool from
- Natural alternatives are safer and much less costly
We pledge to do everything within our rights as residents and owners of the public land to stop the installation of artificial turf in city parks.
Our dogs are not guinea pigs. Please keep the surface of our dog run natural and safe!